Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 41-280 volume control

Hi,
I just rebuilt a 41-280. Replaced ALL wiring ,even in the IF cans,resistors and caps.The BC band is working great and all tube voltages are right on.I was getting ready to do a IF and RF alignment
My question is, at min. volume, the audio can still be heard. I have even grounded the wiper on the pot and the audio is still there.It is not loud but, can be heard.It is leaking past the pot somewhere.
It doesn`t take much of a turn to get the volume pretty loud.

The that thing comes to mind is it could be internal leakage in the det/1st audio tube. Have hear it a lot with sets that use 'at6 and 'av6 tubes.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That makes sense. I even tried another 7C6 with the same problem.I`m sure the customer will want zero audio with the pot turned all the way down. Should I try putting in a resistor in series with the green secondary IF to the diode?

If I ground the grid on the 7C6 no audio.They are using -.6v bias there.

Try grounding the DIODE plates on the 7C6. It's not really the det tube it's hooked to the avc line.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi,
If I ground out the diode plate (pin 6)with the green secondary wire from the IF can it is dead quiet.No audio is heard at any volume.
If I ground out pin5 the audio is reduced but still there. If I ground the blue secondary wire from the IF can the audio is low but still there.
I even wired  in the volume control circuit from a 42-360 and still cannot mute the audio when the pot is turned down.