Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest Little Project 53-560
Photo 

Here's a picture of the latest little project I completed.

It's a Philco Transitone 53-560 that was dead and now plays again. I think it was a thrift store find that made its way to ebay. I got it for parts to finish rehab on a B569 that I already had. The only difference in the two radios I found was this one has 3 filter capacitors and the other only two... I needed the IF transformer to replace one with an open coil in the B569. It suffered damage in my first attempt to remove silver mica disease.

It turned out to have an open power cord. I fixed that and powered it up on the variac and it had horrible filter hum. I replaced the capacitors and it played very well, even sensitive enough to pick up some weaker stations on its loop antenna.

I replaced the paper caps and a wacky resistor that was probably a victim of the "tube saver" resistor heating it up for years.

What the heck. I might as well just finish this one up. I cleaned it all up, gold pen touched up the cabinet, and put it all back together.

Now I have a pretty little Philco 53-560 that looks good and plays as well as I have heard in this type.

By the way, I didn't even try to align it. IMHO, no point in it if it plays this well.

-Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Very cool little radio ! Congratulations. Nice to see that some folks remember, the little radios need love too.