Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Condenser working voltages?

I have been searching for part list info all over the net for some of the working voltages of some of the Philco part numbered condensers. I am trying to build a part list to get these so that I can start the replacment process.

I know that I will be adding at least 100V to each condenser, but I would like to know what the original value was supposed to be so I have someplace to start.

There are 4 Part numbers for the tubular condensors that I have not been able to find.

30-4358 .015mF
30-4445 .006mF
30-4448 .030mF
30-4479 .010mF

If anyone can give me the original working voltages of these caps, I would appreciate it. Unfortunatly, I cannot afford to purchase a book for each type of component (that would be nice).

Thanks,
Kurt

What model radio?

Edit - I saw in another post you're working on a 37-9. I backtracked your part numbers to the schematic numbers 63, 42, 41 and 69.

In this case you can use 200 vdc caps for all since none of them have any appreciable voltage on them.

It is a 37-9.

I have also been having a problem sourcing the 1000V (or more) 30-4469 that is in there. What are you guys using for some of the high voltage caps? and where are you getting them, Mouser does not have any mylars of that high a working voltage... do you have a mouser number for what you are using?

Thanks,
Kurt

Probably want to stick with 1000 vdc on that one (81). I think Mouser might have a SBE/Vishay "Orange Drop" in that value. (.0033/1.6kv) Or you could use a 1kv ceramic disc. Or you could use two 630v tubular caps in series that sum up to the desired value.

what kind of caps are you guys calling orange drop? I know what I am looking at when I see one, but exactly what are they? polystyrene, polypropolene, or what? There is no listing on Mouser's site for Orange drop (or mylar for that matter)

Thanks
Kurt

Enter "capacitor .0033" That one pops up first in the list! p/n

75-715P1600V0.0033

Thanks, got that one, there are a few more, then I will be able to order the caps for this thing and get to work.

Kurt

As a general rule, you can replace nearly all paper caps with new ones rated at 600 or 630 VDC. The exceptions are the caps connected to the plates of audio output tubes, which generally need to be rated at 1000 VDC, as Bill mentioned.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:As a general rule, you can replace nearly all paper caps with new ones rated at 600 or 630 VDC. .

I do as well. Not much point in stocking 200, 400, etc volts. The 630v are only a few pennies more and it would cost me a whole nuther cabinet to store a bunch of smaller voltages that might not get much use. Same with resistors. I normally buy 1 watters for general use.

As Ron and Bill stated, might as well stock 600 volt ones and use them in all sets. Sometimes surplus you can get a great deal on lower voltage, but keeps it much easier just to stock a few. Audio output may need higher voltage, but most others are fine. Also newer caps are much smaller than originals, so will work for the restuffing.

I doubt that a 630V metallized mylar cap would ever fail in an audio output stage. They're self-healing for the occasional spike. Try applying excess voltage to one: you'll be surprised how much they will take.

Another time you are going to need a high voltage capacitor (generally 1600 wv) is when you are replacing the vibrator in an old tube-type car radio. You need to replace the buffer capacitor when you replace the vibrator. If the old cap is bad, you can kiss your new vibrator good bye. My source for caps is DH Distributors of Wichita, Kansas (phone 888/684-0050 or 316/684-0050 fax). This is a one-man operation and he is sometimes hard to reach, but keep trying. He should be able to supply high voltage caps for you.