Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-350

Philco 46-350
Hi guy's, I have replaced the capacitor's and some resistors and the radio is now working. Still have to check the voltages.
Based on the attachment picture how would I replace the 117Z3 with a diode. This diagram does not match up with any of the three schematic's that I have.

Also if I were to replace S1 battery/AC switch, would I just remove the battery cable and switch and then make the A/C line go directly to the S2 on/off switch.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Jim

For the 117Z3   The diode goes from Pin 5 to pin6.  On the diode the cathode-pointy end goes to pin 6.

Be careful you don't overvoltage the filaments apparently they are very sensitive. A silicone diode only has about .7 volts dropped across it. Your going to get more for your money.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

Why not just use the 117Z3? They are $4.00 at find a tube. Having a spare on hand, you’d probably be set for life.

If this set used a selenium rectifier, I’d likely replace it with a diode and resistor.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Thanks guy's for the info.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Finished restoring this radio, got it working and voltages look good, I left the 117Z3 in the radio. I put the speaker into the chassis, tested it again and it was bad, loud noise buzzing you name it. I took the speaker out again, still the same, it was time to quit for the day. Next day in the morning I tested again and it was fine, I put the speaker back in again and tested it and it was terrible, I took it into another room same thing, it was making a noise like wowoo wowoo wowoo. I noticed that my wife was doing the laundry at the same time I was working on this. I waited for the wash machine to shut off and all was good again. The washing machine was causing interference, I also have interference with these flat screen TV's and computers with the transformers always on. So this washer must emit some RF.......It drove me nuts.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Jim your account of the affect the washing machine had on your radio reminded me of a similar incident I had once on a TV repair at a customer’s home. This was an old Zenith round tube color set in an older home. I fixed the original complaint but then noticed the picture kept changing in both width and height in a consistent rhythm, like watching a heart beating. Turned out it was instep with the washing machine while agitating. As soon as it stopped, the tv was normal. Crazy thing is the customer was use to that happening anytime they ran their washer that it wasn’t even a concern! Must have been a case of too many things on the same circuit!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

462Ron, that reminds me of my first house. It was a well built home from the 1920s, but had gone through a number of owners over the years, including an absentee landlord who had let a renter who claimed to be an electrician do wiring work on the place. I believe, from studying the wiring that originally, like most residences of the time, it was on a 4 circuit, 60 amp mains fuse box. Over the years somebody had installed a 100 amp service. I ended up having to rewire more than 60% of the house. The original wiring was fine, but some of the things done later would make your hair curl. I know the National Electrical Code. I had to learn it when I was a quality Control Engineer for Leviton Corp. In the house there were buried splices, and those not even in proper electrical boxes (replaced the entire run with a new single run of Romex), 2 wire with ground Romex being used as 3 wire where the bare grounding wire was used as a conductor, and NO GROUND ! (replaced that with 3 wire with ground Romex) The entire upstairs, 3 bedrooms and a bath were on a single circuit. I ran up 2 more circuits and split it so that the master bedroom and the attic lights were on one circuit (I added the attic lights), the two other bedrooms were on one circuit, and the bath and little hallway were on the third circuit. Originally each bedroom only had the overhead light and ONE electrical wall outlet. I added two more wall outlets to each bedroom, which was still not as many as were really required by the modern code, but was a heck of a lot better than just ONE. The bath did have a GFCI installed already at least; but there was no switch for the lights near the entrance door, and the lights were not on the GFCI. I ended up completely rewiring the bathroom so everything was on the GFCI, and I added a fan and switches for the fan and lights near the door. Needless to say I had to cut quite a few holes in the plaster and lathe walls. I learned how to do proper repairs to such holes, and once they were done, and the walls painted, you could never tell that anything had been done at all. It was sure a learning experience all around. When I was done, though, I had a safe, well wired home.

Mikethedruid, I know what you mean. There are a lot of nightmares out there. I can remember as a kid the old home we lived in must have had only a 30amp service, only 110V. I can remember the fuse box on the wall with just 2 screw in fuses. One for upstairs one for down! I also remember when my wife and I were looking to buy a house when first married. One we looked at had one hallway light on the wall with a built in receptacle which had one of those 3 way cubes plugged into it. There were 3 extension cords run from it, one to each bedroom! There were no receptacles in any of the bedrooms except for those extension cords run from that single hallway source! Aye! Icon_crazy 

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

I bought a new washing machine last November and it made the same interference. It is an all electronic controlled motor, so there is none of the old clunk noise of the transmission like to old ones. It's a Speed Queen, but it should have been called an RFI King! You could hear it out on the street in your car radio!

I installed a 20A rated power line filter in series with the power cord, It's built in a project box, and it stopped the RFI from spraying too far out of the house. Now my longwire antenna is pretty quiet, and other radios are at least usable on the strong stations.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

I had an old Maytag my mom gave us when we got married, no RF only 1 repair, Whirlpool now ruins my country olies on Sunday, fie on all new machines. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Just FYI my washer and Dryer are Speed Queen...................

Jim
Spring Lake MI