Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker cone repair

Good afternoon, gentlemen

I have a small tear in a speaker. I see several ads for black rubber cement for cone repair, but the writeups always talk about replacing the whole cone. That doesn't seem necessary. Shouldn't I be able to repair a small tear? This tear is about 1/8 to 1/3 of an inch long on both sides of a right angle. Otherwise the cone is perfect.

Is that what you guys use, or have you learned there is something better? Or <Gasp! choke!> do you recommend replacing the whole cone? It's a 12" off my Philco 41-285. 

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Small tear is repaired with rubber cement.
I use it and most people do. It would seem inexpedient replacing a whole cone due to a small tear.
Apply it from both sides, more that one layer. Not too thick,

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Have also used the cement and a patch like coffee filter as well to secure.......

Paul

Tubetalk1

Rather than rubber cement, I prefer the method described in this link:

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...ker-cones/

Good luck,

Allen

General purpose contact cement works well, goes on thin, remains flexible.
Regards
Arran

Have had good luck with rubber cement for small repairs. larger repairs small pieces of coffee filter soaked in Elmers white glue or kids school glue.

I use black RTV and paper towel. The RTV turns into actual rubber when cured. I spread a thin amount on the cone around the whole damaged area, being careful to brace things from the other side so as not to increase the damage. I spread a thin amount on one side of the paper towel patch cut large enough to cover the entire damaged area with about 1/4 inch on each side beyond. I then put on the patch, RTV side to RTV side, and carefully press it into place, again, providing support from the opposite side of the cone. Let it dry over night and you have a good, strong repair. You could use a coffee filter instead of the paper towel, but, since I drink instant coffee, and don't use coffee filters, I use what I have.

My dad liked Instant, though he aslo used a MIRRO aluminum pot on the gas stove with Maxwell House ground that would make your hair curl, evaporated milk and 1 sugar.....has nothing to do with speakers.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Here's my take, and the way I do it. The cone is stiff so it can move the air around it. I make cone repair with a paper using acid neutral glue. I have repaired the cone surround with a flexible layer of contact cement that stays flexible so the cone can move freely. This produces a mellow tone as the bass notes are better quality.