Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rare Philco model 201

Here is one model you don't see much of, this cabinet I had the honor of a total refinishing job, looked like the cabinet had been near a sunny window for a long time in which made the finish lighter in color (bleached out ). I  finished it out with correct color tones in the right places, sealer, grain filler , sealer & topped off with 6 coats of satin pre cat clear Lacquer. brought it back to show room condition, also i had refinish a lid cover for a very rare model 509-X. Philco had some of the nicest cabinets ever made for most there console radio cabinets , solid wood constution with steel screws not nails,  beautiful wood inlays and great choices of walnut and Mahogany veneers, Burles, and figured grain. Like chioces of cuts of meat, T-bones, Porter house and Rib eye stakes. IMHO. Thanks for looking Fred Taylor Dallas tx.

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW ! Just... WOW ! What a beautiful cabinet ! You did a magnificent job !

Beautiful work as always.

The actual model number is 201X.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's what I thought. It's looks just like a 201X but it's got a couple of extra holes in it...

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Good catch, Terry - failed to notice that initially.

Steve Geary (azenithnut on ARF) has a 201X with two extra holes just like Fred's radio. He brought the chassis over here a couple years ago, and after careful inspection, we came to the conclusion that it was either a factory prototype or someone had taken some liberties with it. Maybe Philco built more than one prototype before putting it into production (with four controls in front rather than six), and maybe Fred's is another prototype?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

For what it's worth the holes one at each end are a little lighter in color than the others. Looks like they might have been made after the set was all together. But who knows.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Another good catch, Terry. Icon_thumbup So those extra two holes could be a much more recent attempt at hot-rodding a 201X.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Terry & Ron Found picture of the label from that radio, says 201.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work as always. I like the woodwork on this set really pretty, I bet it costed some extra funds for a cabinet like that. Good quality radio cabinets were made like furniture. And when companies cared about the quality and workman ship that went into a product. Now no one cares..... Everything is made overseas and is replaceable and throw away.  Icon_thumbdown

Like the 200X it uses close to $100 worth of grille cloth to get the pattern correct on the three panels.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Frederich
I know a couple of months have gone by but wondering if you could provide the different toners you used in some detail. I'm going to be refinishing one of these cabinets soon.  hoping my turns out well.
Bob

I'm wondering if Philco was experimenting with the high fidelity controls for their introduction of the 680X for the next model year? That would be a possibility being that the 680 chassis used the same control layout...and they were both high fidelity sets.

The 680X chassis is a much different and much more complex chassis, however. Just a thought...

I noticed holes immediately, but since i did not know 201 model, I still thought they were out of place: I am not aware of many models with this many knobs.

Beautiful job though.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just curious, Fred... in a former life were you by chance painting a chapel ceiling while lying on your back??? Amazingly beautiful work as usual. I wish I could watch you in action. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan