Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE 422

So I guess my swap meet withdrawl got to me and I saw a nifty GE 422 on the auction site, good price I bit. Good news seller was upfront and there were some scuffs noted on top and scratches disclosed. I was impressed arrived double boxed, in one piece. These sets have beautiful marbled cases though it appears that some of the imperfections are chemical droplet caused and it seems like the marbling is gone where these spots are. Anyone have experience with these? Here is a very nice example, I need to work on my photos, just unboxed, all tubes there and cord looks OK. 

[Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/f2/24/...ddb854.jpg]

Paul

Tubetalk1

Nice set, 6 tubes looking forward to the updates on the rework. Stay Safe David

I could be wrong, but I think these models are not Bakelite. I think this is plaskon or maybe just plastic. If so, they can be buffed out to a shine without punching thru' and ruining a glossy surface unlike Bakelite which seems to have all it's character at the surface and once gone is dull. The Plaskon cabinets will show the swirls and colour changes right thru' the material from outside to inside.

Like I said ... I could be wrong ... but that's what I remember about these.

When I get some time I think a good cleaning followed by a small test on the bottom on the buff. Thanks guys.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Open it up....so had a chance to get into this GE. Chassis clean, looks untinkered with underneath yet has many non GE tubes so some got swapped. The case was dirty and had some blotch dots....some cleaned off others seem to go through to a plain layer under the marble effect, almost looks liked it was sprayed with a clear top coat of some kind. It will still show well but maybe not a stunner as I had hoped it would clean up to. Case was very dirty and cleaned with soft toothbrush and soapy water, then Novus 1. Not sure how much more work the case will get.
It has the dial light that will follow the pointer, kinda neat. Surprised me that the wires to speaker were not insulated? Just single strand copper, maybe a tinkerer afterall. Nice feature the antenna as well as speaker dis connect with a sliding clip. 12 SG7 added so usually 6 tube sets I have with that play well, lots of RCA 6 tube sets feature that tube. So maybe get the caps swapped soon and report back.....btw 4x6" speaker is mint. Looks like the 12SG7 is not from factory.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/674/M0007674.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...8877762942

Paul

Tubetalk1

Very cool radio, Paul. I'll be watching to see your updates as you work on her.

As time allows as the saying goes, odd with the one 12BA6, others all the usual suspects.

Paul

Tubetalk1

So this set has got recapped, cleaned up, and this did have the enamelled wires to speaker, new to me. Plays well, sound fine for a 6 tube set, all my locals and NYC stations, picked up 740 Toronto last week at nite, not bad. Case did not clean uo as well as hoped. I t has a light which follows pointer as some GEs do. The Dial itself does not lite. So good for now.....last 2 pics are the finished set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...8877762942

Paul

Tubetalk1

Nice GE, Paul. I have looked at a few of those in my area, but the cabinets are always broke. Ohio is rough on stuff!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hi Paul,

Neat Radio.

Interesting how some radios of the late 1940s seemed to be "hybrid" between octal and miniature tubes. Also interesting that some manufacturers had the Chassis punched for Octal sockets and have wafer style miniature tube sockets that were large enough to fill the holes. Some schematics listed both style tubes, making it sound that switches were made mid-run as their supply of octal tubes ran out.

Interesting that up in MA, that you tend to listen to the NY Stations. You must be getting the Toronto station (CFZM?) at night. For years, WGSM was a local station in the Huntington NY area, about 10 miles from my house, that operated at 740KHZ. Over the years, they were Adult (my Parents' age) Standards (The Lively Lovely Long Island Sound), Easy Listening, Country. The frequency was eventually sold, and became, at different times, Korean, Caribbean, Religious, Korean Religious and LatinX Religious. The station maxed at 5KW and either went to 1KW or shut down at night to clear the channel for CFZM 740 KHz, Toronto, Canada. However, due to the proximity, it was hard to get WABC (770KHZ) on a 5 Tube "AA5" in my area until WGSM signed off.

Around here, due to our proximity to NYC and all of their stations (WMCA,WNBC, WOR, WABC, WCBS, WINS, WNEW, WQXR, etc.), the average radio was the AA5. The only 6 Tube sets around here were from people who moved into the area, or the Car Radio. The 6 Tube set with its RF Amp was sufficient to filer out WGSM.

As a kid, I was thrilled to pick up CKLW 800 Windsor, Ontario and Detroit MI, rotating the radio to make it less sensitive to WABC and WGY 810 KHz, Schenectady, NY.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Paul, as the saying goes " a house that's lived in looks it." The same analogy applies to most radios. I'd be proud to have that radio in my collection. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I think the cabinets are polystyrene, G.E was starting to use a lot of it around 1950s or so. As for the tubes used there were shortages of some tube types in the post war era, and during the Korean war so I think they made chassis to accommodate different sockets.
Regards
Arran

The wires to speaker had thrown me off a bit as they seemed to have no insulation but I was informed they may have a thin coat of enamel on them, that was relief as I thought they radio may have been hacked up and someone did a crummy fixit job here. Overall it was not too bad of shape, relatively unmolested.

Plays pretty good and looks OK. I will be on the lookout for a better case....................another BOLOIcon_smile!

Paul

Tubetalk1

I like that radio Paul!