Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1st gen Model 84

I was thinking since the weather getting better I should have some sets to refinish. One came to mind an 84 that I thought I had serviced a yr or two ago. Pulled it off the shelf and noticed that it was missing the 80 tube so found one. Gave it a go and no dice just hum. Guess I didn't service it.

Remove the chassis from the cabinet to find the 42 was missing too. Replaced the 42 and didn't help much. Spkr and ac cords were pretty tattered both original. Previously I did rebuild the filter cap, rewind the osc and ant coils. Spent about a hour and a half checking/replacing resistor and rebuilding block caps. Made a new spkr cable and replaced the line cord.

After all that was put in place I gave it a try and it awoke from it's slumber.Tuned around a bit and got Paul's station WBZ but didn't hear him on it.
The grid leak resistor is a little high at 6M so I'll probably drill out the rivets that hold the coil covers on. I think that offers more access to clean the covers, chassis, and get to the gl resistor.

And then there's the cabinet...

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry