Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Value of 46-1201

What is a reasonable price for a 46-1201 in good cosmetic and working order? I understand the validity of the argument that the value is in the eye of the buyer, but I was curious about an objective assessment. Thanks.
Mike

By working order do you mean overhauled electrically, with the phonograph, and in working order, or that it plays as is? I bought one from a garage sale for $15, but was missing the speaker, which I had. If you look on fleabay they don't seem to go for very much, as is in real sales, not BIN listings, probably due to the shipping cost
Regards
Arran

I'd say working as is with the expectation of having to make the usual capacitor/resistor replacements. The time and effort is also not something I'm concerned about in the way of offsetting the value.

That's a good question. I'm not particularly fond of phonos as they tend to require some expensive parts ( idler wheel and cartridge) which can equal 1/4 or 1/2 of the sale cost of the complete unit. On these old sets we're talking 78 rpm only.
I would value the '1201 at about $50 in good cosmetic condition and "playing" unserviced. With that being said to get it in really good shape your looking at replacing the idler wheel and cartridge. That's about $60 to get it to your doorstep. Probably a 4x6" spker, t/u supplies for the photofinish, and mercury switch. Whatever you need for the radio. Add that all up.

I think really nice one might bring $100 to the right person but you've got to find them. The guy that sells to you gets the biggest bite of the apple.

That's my take on it for what it's worth...  Here's an interesting video on how to service the record player from Aussieland  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY45Y1uG...avidTipton

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the info. As I have plenty of 78's and I'm intrigued with the method in which this model operates, I would consider $50 if I can find one in pretty good original shape. The online auction prices are ridiculous from what I've seen. And few of the sellers can even be certain of the operational status of their items as usual.

I know what you mean. I have been buying radios from eBay for years, and watched the prices go up and up. I am not looking for radios which somebody has already worked on. My hobby is the restoration of them. Now it is very hard to find a decent, unmolested radio at anything NEAR a reasonable price. Once in a great while you DO find such a thing, and manage to not be outbid, but those times are getting fewer and fewer. I still look though. I remember when I started collecting antique radios as a kid how I could get them for free because people were happy to get rid of "old junk", or buy them for $5 or $10 at the Salvation Army, depending on the condition.

I've totally restored (radio/record player/cabinet) about 4 of them and sold them in the $125 - $150 range. They are very plentiful and easy to find relatively cheap in unrestored condition. I paid $1 for one once on eBay...plus shipping LOL

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Idler wheels can be rebuilt, if you can find a source of the sort of seals used in automatic transmissions. You don't have to get the original cartridge rebuilt as it can be replaced with a more modern substitute. I don't know where you would find a replacement mercury switch if you needed one, I recon that a micro switch could be suitably fitted to preform the same task. In my case the platter needs to be reflocked, but I put the restoration on hold because the set has a tracking problem with the dial which I haven't solved, so the set went back into drydock.
Regards
Arran

You can harvest a mercury switch from a old style HVAC thermostat.  You gotta put the capsule in the existing holder and readjust it to work, but that can be done.  I did complete restorations on a pair of 46-1201's for a fella in TX about 10 years ago.  The original had disappeared, but the old guy wanted a pair of them to give to the kids.  Seems that the original was an anniversary present to his wife in '46.  It was their entertainment system for a long time.  The old fella wanted the kids to know and remember their parents with the radio/phono's.  They were modified so that the hot chassis was not an issue and the turntables were restored so that they played.  Seems the old guy still had the records (a stack of them), and wanted the kids to enjoy them like mom and dad did in '46.  The whole projects was in the $1200 range.  I had to buy two more radios to get enough parts to make two complete units.

Kim Herron W8ZV
w8zv at goldenradioservice.com
1-616-677-3706

Hello,
I have 2 of them currently but have restored about 6 of them. All were under $50.00. One original finish and one refinished.
Both would need recapping, a new cart, replacement rubber washers, and new grommets.
Issue is shipping is a pain. If you cant find one locally we can chat.
Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I haven't looked at mine in some time, but the Philcoat faux finish was still in decent shape I think, the shaded lacquer was what was flaking off. None of these are "Hot Chassis" sets, Philco always used floating chassis designs on their transformerless models. Most are also not AC/DC sets as they have a voltage doubler power supply, though there was one Code version that was an AC/DC set. Shock hazard isn't really an issue anyhow as the chassis is completely enclosed inside the cabinet when in use, and is a bugger to get out since Philco didn't believe in using plugs and sockets to connect the phonograph to the radio chassis. There were at least ten different code numbers and three production runs in the U.S models, I think that Philco was literally building them with whatever they could get in a particular week, different tube lineups, different speakers, the only thing consistent was the phonograph portion.
Regards
Arran