Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Early Philco impregnated wire

The early sets used grid hookup 11 strand 'impregnated' wires (green cloth) with (it seems) an inner wrap of cloth under the outer. Do these offer any sort of shielding?  Has anyone ever noticed a big difference when using a newer plastic coated stranded wire, aluminum - Chinese or whatever? Curious of others experience. I read in a old radio service publication which said that a shielded grid wire with one end grounded would certainly help on some radios. Not really sure what the Philco catalogs (looking at '37 parts catalog) mean by 'impregnated'.

The only cloth covered shielded I can recall used in early Philcos is black. It's used between the line bypass bakelite block and the off/on switch. The shield is grounded to limit the ac hum pick up from the ac line as it passes by the low level audio stages.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The regular wire, if you do not see the mesh or a drain wire soldered to the braid (which is easily discerned even under the cloth, and that wire is much fatter) is not shielded.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Personally I like my wires virgin.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

This is what happens when you do not shield them.
They get impregnated.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.