Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New 41-250

I think that's probably why I haven't really dug into my '255, the dread of that rubber-coated wiring.

Check it out carefully, you might be surprised, especially since it seems you are from a cold climate as am I. The rubber wiring in my 41-250 look and feel excellent, still soft and flexible. Perhaps I will have to rewire the set someday but for now it is fine.

The fellow I bought the set from did a very good job on the recapping although I did have to touch up a few things.

-David

Yes, I haven't checked it out so I don't know the condition. I may have lucked out with some intact wiring for the most part. This radio looks rather well cared for.

Yesterday I pulled the chassis from a 41-255 because I needed to borrow the speaker temporarily. I checked the rubber insulation, and it seems to be fine on almost all the wires. I didn't poke around under the push button coils, where maybe the wire gets hotter, but I was very surprised at the good condition of the wires I could reach easily.

The first couple of Philcos of this vintage I worked on needed every almost wire replaced or sleeved, but I've seen a couple lately in which most of the insulation is in great shape. I wonder what makes the difference from one radio to another? Perhaps different wire suppliers had different recipes for the insulation?

I haven't made a study of it, but it has seemed to me that insulation in hot areas is more crumbly than in other parts of the chassis. Maybe if a radio is used less over its lifetime the wire has less exposure to heat and is less likely to get hard.

Some colors seem to crumble more than others. Black, red, and white always seem bad, while blue and green are better.

Any or all theories welcome!

John Honeycutt