Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 1X591

[Image: https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio...270009.jpg]

I have one of these sets, I had replaced the gold fabric with a Gold Lame' type material from Fabric store, it has puckered and not aged well looks very chinsy. I have not really found a similar material to original so am thinking of a nice Grille Cloth, I need a good adhesive for the Fabric as it goes this curved latice type peice in front of speaker, any suggestions for type/brand adhesive. I have used a 3M type before it was OK, did not impress me though.

This fine example is kind of what I am shooting for. 

Thank you.

Paul.

Tubetalk1

I've always used 3M Super 77 spray glue with good results. The trick is to spray an even coat on both surfaces and let it sit for a few minutes before mating the cloth to the backing board. Gorilla Glue or Contact Cement would be over kill. I've also used a thin coat of Permatex Clear RTV Silicone on sets where the cloth is just glued to the inside of the cabinet with no backing cardboard or board to hold it in place.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Am watching.
Have the same set and it has the original cloth. It's ok but wrinkly and would make a big improvement in it's appearance.
It was given to me as it didn't work, it was found that it had a bad IF transformer after doing the routine servicing. That was abt ten yrs ago. Last time I flipped it on it has developed some bad habits but nothing an ohm meter and soldering iron can't make disappear.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It has an 8 inch speaker and for 5 tuber sounds swell, RCA Jack.......the dial lights up the underneath the waves in the cloth.......pretty cool.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Yes on the 3M spray-glue.

I would not spray it though Icon_rolleyes . If you get too much on the cloth it can saturate and show-through or stain/spread. If you spray it inside the cabinet, some always gets on the grill (width of the plyboard - the area on 30s radios that is usually brown/black).

I use a brush. - - - spray some inside of the can lid/cap and use a small brush. Clean the brush in lacquer thinner while the glue is STILL wet. Brush onto the inside of the cabinet. This is usually good enough, but if you need more holding power, brush lightly on the corresponding area of the fabric, wait for a minute or two and then press the fabric to the cabinet. If you MUSTT scoot the fabric around then do not wait the 1 - 2 minutes but be prepared to hold/stretch the fabric in place for 1 - 2 minutes.

I've seen people use wood-glue. What a mess.

P.S. You will always get some glue on your fingers and this is always the area that sticks best to - everything else. Do not touch plastic - will melt or smudge. Do not touch your face unless you want to glue your right index finger to the center of your forehead - that would be cool. Icon_twisted

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Never had a problem with seepage in spraying the 3M on any of the probably 100 wood cabinet radios I've used it on over the years. But as with anything, other results may vary. Just a LIGHT coat on both surfaces...that is if you're attaching it to a backing board. When I've removed old grille cloth this seems to be the standard of how MOST (that I've encountered anyhow) were attached from the factory...the adhesive they used was over the entire backing board, not just around the edges. I agree, NEVER spray directly into an empty cabinet or you'll have a sticky mess on the grill work. For radios where the cloth is glued directly into the cabinet I've always used a small dollop of RTV (or as my Dad calls it "snot") on my finger and carefully smear it on the inside of the cabinet around the perimeter of the grille opening so that it's very thin, making sure to stay far enough away from the opening so it doesn't seep out when you press the fabric in place. It holds well...never had a grille cloth sag or let loose years later, and it dries clear. But it's great to hear what others do and to have options. Take your time and do whatever works best for you.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Someone had one of those, or the Canadian version, on one of the regional craigslist sites, it had not only the puckering, but a large hole torn in the grill cloth. My late uncle had a similar set that had what looked like a fan grill over the speaker, like a 9X561, I think it also had an 8'' speaker inside, part of what they called their "Golden Throat" series, I'm not sure but I think the set he had also had an RF amplifier stage, it sounded good as well. I think if Paul can find a non destructive way to remove the speaker board that may simplify replacing the cloth, but since I have never had one of these I can only speculate how it was constructed.
Regards
Arran

It has a plastic piece that has a lattice looks like a grate of sorts that the fabric is set on, not to bad to get out of set and then have to get crummy fabric off.....

Paul

Tubetalk1