Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-350 push-button tuning adjustments

Hi, new to the forum and new to vintage radios.  Picked up a 42-350 (or is it a 350T?) and can't find tuning adjustment instructions for the pre-set buttons.  Found a thread about push-button tuning but my unit does not have a "manual" button.  Anyone know how to set the pre-set buttons?  Brand new to this! Thanks in advance.

Adam

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I believe what you are looking for is in our library
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

Hi Adam and welcome,

You have 42-350, the T indicates that it's a tabletop set and not a console. If all is working and the set has been service lately on the right side of the dial there are four indicater lights. These tell you what band you are on and the fourth one tells that you have it set to use the push buttons. That's how it was on the '41 models.

Used to do service work down in NW DC back in '80...

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Bob, but I haven't the foggiest what ant./osc. refer to (ok, antenna? oscillator?).  I am looking for "setting buttons for dummies like me." I saw one thread where it was close to my level of understanding (in non-technical terms) but it was a unit that had a "manual" button.  The rest seems almost like enough info for me but I just don't want to mess something up.  For example, I was looking for something like "1) tube in a station you want to set; 2) push in a button you want to use to set that station; 3) look in the back for..."  I don't even know whether I need to first tune the radio to a strong station, or when to push in the button to set a station, or whether I even need to ever push in a button to set a station, etc. I was hoping to find a YouTube of someone setting buttons but haven't been able to.  Thanks for your reply though. Adam

Thanks Terry, so I have a "T."

As I mentioned to Bob, I am not sure how to incorporate pushing buttons to set channels during the process of messing with "padders" (still not even sure what those are).  I assume they are the screws on the opposite ends of the push buttons that I need to turn to adjust the clarity of the reception of the station.  I just don't want to start unscrewing screws and creating a mess for myself.  I'm more methodical, I like to see a lot of written instructions before diving in.  I learned that approach after a few botched wagon, bbq, and ping pong table assemblies many years ago.  Thanks for your reply, Adam

Ok Simple enough. You need to know the frequency of the station you what to set the push button for. For instances 630kc for WMAL, 980kc for WRC, 1150kc for WHMC/WJOK, 1500kc for WTOP, 1580kc for WPGC, and 1600 for WINX ( I don't think they are around any more).

Go to pg 63 of the service manual and at the bottom there is a list of the padders. They are in groups of two. One ant (antenna) and one osc (oscillator). All together there are 10 padders which means there are 5 stations can be set which is how many buttons you have not counting the off/on sw.

The ant tunes the antenna circuit in the the radio and matches it to the frequency of the station. The osc tunes the oscillator stage this selects the station noted within the frequency on the chart. Both padder screws when screwed in will be at the lowest part of the frequency range. Conversely when the screw are almost out it will be at the highest part of the frequency range.

To get the hang of it set the band switch to use the push buttons. Push in the 1st button on the left. If that one is the off/on sw push the one next to it. This button should be the one associated with the 1st two padders. These will adjust the ant and osc frequency.

With the set on and working gently screw in the two padder screws #1&2 then back them out about a 1/4 of a turn. Use screw on padder #2 to tune around a little  and you may hear a strong local station like WMAL @ 630kc. Adjust screw #1 for loudest signal and your all set for WMAL. If all is well button 1 can be set (aligned) for any station between 540-980kc

The tricky part is that both the ant and the osc adjustments tune fairly sharply so it easy to get one out of range of the other. This means that you have to go back and forth a bit to it tuned in to the station you want. Most of us use a signal generator this makes it easier but I'm assuming you don't have one.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, now you're talking my language! Incredibly helpful, have to go out of town for a bit but will check back and let you know how my attempts at this go.  Very much appreciate all of the detailed explanations.  Best, Adam

Also Terry, would you happen to have a link to the service manual or to the site where I can access it?  Thanks, Adam

Bob posted it in the 2nd post but here it is: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ah yes, thanks both of you - -when you said p. 63 I hadn't considered that 4 page documents can have internal pagination that isn't 1-4!  All the best, Adam