Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482

it lives!!!! on all three bands no less.this thing needed almost as many parts as my halli. sx-62!!! but i noticed i got a lot of static and noise in the am band around 700kc and below and no reception i thought maybe the shaft wipers were still dirty but closer  scrutiny revealed that some pinhead i guess  didnt want stations below 700kc and bent the ends of the outboard rotor vanes in so that they would short against the stator. i say this as they were bent in on the b.c. tuning segment ONLY. i cant see this happening accidentally  but concede its possible. i then noticed that there was wire insulation jammed in between the stator vanes and frame. why ive no idea. if its factory will someone let me know why?

Attached Files Image(s)

im getting ready to start the alignment on this set. they want the pointer set to the "index line" with the tuner fully closed. i just looked at the dial and i just dont see what they are talking about. my instincts tell me to adjust the pointer so that its entire range of movement is centered on the scale, but that doesnt seem correct in this case does anyone know?

its amazing what a readable set of alignment instructions will do for you. i figured it out.

so i made up a loading unit,for the z403 if ,put a jumper to chassis on the fm 1000 pin 2, got  it the thing all wired and warmed up. turned on the generator at a moderate level on am 400 hz mod. i start fiddling c403c and there is something wrong as ive no tone. check the hookups and recheck. nothing dead as a post.by this time i got the generator at max (kenwood sg-5115). finally i decided to to see if the i.f was resonating at ANY frequency. it resonates like mad at 8.7 mc.i tried walking the if up frequency wise while adjusting c403c it wont budge.hmmm maybe c403b has something to do with this nope! its 8.7 ONLY. i ran a frequency counter on the generator and its right on the money at 9.1. is my if transformer toast? its also important to note that i could get some fm but rather weak on two stations. ive replaced all the paper caps and resistors

in the absence of any adult supervision i pressed on. it would seem that with all the parts i replaced the i.f. will have to be adjusted 0ne more time. i ran the whole string and will need to do it again as the closer i got to the first i.f. the better it got until at the 1st if it peaked as it should. a revisit to step one and two brought success as well. ill finish it up on the morrow. i cant understand why they dont just have you START at the first i.f. like other radios. it would have saved a lot of grief. UNLESS there is a reason i dont quite understand????