Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 201X

Thanks Patrick, would not have thought to use Auto panel board. Masonite would be a bit thicker and stiffer. Will be checking that out.

Terry
Thank you for the link to the catalogue. So that small box is actually an aerial ???

Also, I saw the thread you link to as well. Interesting because My 201X is in the right cabinet but as you can see there appears to be a label under the one on mine as well. They are stuck together, so can't tell what the one under it was. Hmmm

Question on using this Phorum. I can't figure out how to respond to someone elses post so that what they wrote shows up in my reply to them. Hope that makes sense.

>Thank you for the link to the catalogue. So that small box is actually an aerial ???

No it's a switch to switch from a balanced line to a single wire ant, I think.

Has you can see I cut and paste.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

bgorman,

What you are looking for is the quote button. You won't find it on the Philco Phorum. We removed it some time ago because it was being abused.

If someone has posted something, there is no reason to quote what that person said if your post is the very next post. It only makes sense if the post you are responding to is several posts back.

Terry's solution is a good one also.

Thanks for your understanding,

The Management.

No it's a switch to switch from a balanced line to a single wire ant, I think.

Thanks Terry
I'll have to do a little more investigating into Antennas. Haven't really done much of that yet. So not sure what a "Balanced line"  is.  It appears that the unit is sold in a kit with other Antenna materials. Is this box useless without those ??

Bob

Like all of us when you get a new Radio, we hope that it's unmolested or at least not to badly. I had high hopes that would be the case with this one, but. Before I even got the chassis out, I could see that wouldn't be the case.  In this case it was the 4 legged molester.
            Hungry anyone ?

A few photos of the top side

Grungy but not the worst I've seen.

Wow ! mice made a home in there... reminds me of the 37-640 I have never managed to finish. Ran into problems and put it aside until my disgust subsides. Good luck with the project. I enjoy a lot of pictures as you have shared. I'll watch out for the coming installments.

I'll mention gently clean the dial w/mineral spirits. Water,soaps and other cleaners will remove the print.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

>Wow ! mice made a home in there... reminds me of the 37-640 I have never managed to finish. Ran into problems and put it aside until my disgust subsides. Good luck with the project. I enjoy a lot of pictures as you have shared. I'll watch out for the coming installments.<

I understand Mike, when I got this out and started looking it over, it quickly became apparent  that this was going to be a project. Apparently when the critter's sunflower seed supply dried up, it decided the cloth on the wire would do. He chewed  a bunch of the wire on the right side and others, Bare. Glade I read the many posts on this site about not plugging these in until checking them out.

The critter wasn't the only one in there, as you can see, someone must have had a supply of 8mf caps because they replaced everything that was bad with them, including what were only 1 & 2 mfs.

Here's a truncated pic of the bottom of my 201. You can get an idea of the color code of the wiring.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry
A couple of interesting things about yours. One, I order info on the 201x from Chuck Schwark, one of the sheets he sent showed revisions to this unit and a later revision said that they removed the phenolic board in the middle with all the caps on it, and used Bakelite blocks instead. Is yours that latter version ?

Also, if you look at mine, on the Right side wall of the chassis, is a low pass choke part#70 (see pic) it's part of the 10KC filter trap, after the 75 first audio tube, to keep nearby stations from bleeding in, when using the High Fidelity, as I understand it. It also appears to provide resistance for the B+ of the 75 tube plate.  Is this coil in your unit ??    Also curious to me is why they used a chunk of wood for this  Icon_think

Unfortunately the 4 legged critter didn't stop at the cloth on the wire, but proceeded to feast on the bottom of this coil. What really, really stinks is that he broke through the windings in 6 or 8 places essentially trashing it. Icon_evil I've been debating for sometime what to do about it. I've read many threads on rewinding transformers but haven't seen anyone attempt one of these. My gauge is saying it's 40 gauge wire, very thin. There must be 20 layers or more, with a very thin paperlike layer between each one. This is just one of the dilemmas with this unit I'm hoping to get some advise for. More to come.

I don't have any info on revisions so I'm unsure about the changes throughout the model's run. Mine doesn't have a phenolic board just blocks. I just assumed that since it was in a previous models cabinet that it would have had one of the first of the next models chassis.

The choke should be relatively easy to sort. Just have to calculate the proper inductor by using the known frequency and capacitance. As to why it's on a wooden form could be that it was cheaper to fabricate. Philco had a few bean counters and this was 1935, actually designed in '33 even worst money was tighter then.

I haven't really dug into the 201X but maybe I will in the near future.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry
Thanks for the reply. The 200/200x  201/ 201X is confusing. Many refer to the 201 as the 201X, even though none of the photos of the 201 labels I've seen on the internet, use the X.   I'm not sure where the X came in ? My label just says Model 201  Icon_crazy

You mention that the inductance can be calculated. but this is where my limited knowledge comes in. Can you help with calculating the inductance with the attached schematic? The coil that got chewed up, is part #70.  It together with the Comp. condenser #71 forms the 10KC trap (Highlighted)  I'm not sure if caps #69 & #72 play a role in it or not. 

Also, I assume the coil would need to be close to the 2,000 oms shown, to set the B+ voltage to the plate of the 75 tube  Icon_question  Any help here is greatly appreciated!