Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Predicta yellow screen

I recently bought a Philco Predicta that of course doesn't work.  The plastic picture tube cover was badly covered with a mold or something on the front and back.  I cleaned it off (it took kerosene to get it off) but the plastic is badly yellowed.  So if I ever get it working the black and white picture will be black and yellow.  I've tried bleach, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, even fine sanding.  Nothing is working.  Does anyone know a way to get rid of the yellow?

It might be that the discoloration is though and though the plastic. Just old age.The shell paint is going to be the answer to get an even color. The screen cover you might be able to use a headlight cleaning kit to reduce the yellowing but all of it gone I kinda doubt it. There is some demand for screen covers for both the 17 and 21" but probably not enough to justify the cost of making new ones. I could use a 17" one.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I just wonder if someone could make injection-molded or stamped transparent plastic.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I don't know if you can retrobright Tennite like you can with other plastics. Basically you cover it with a creamed hair bleach, and stick it in a clear plastic bag out in the sun for an afternoon, wash it off, then repeat if necessary. Then you could try a polishing compound like Novus, or one of the 3M products for buffing out car paint.
Regards
Arran

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I'll give them a try and let you know what happens.  Another question...Is it possible the plastic picture tube cover is supposed to be yellow or gold?  But then the black and white picture would have a yellow tint to it.  I have seen pictures of these TVs and the screen does appear to be yellow or gold on some of them.  Even ones that are restored.  But then there are pictures of ones that look clear.

I don't think it is supposed to be tinted in any way.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Remember these TV's were around when almost everyone smoked like chimneys because no one knew the hazards back then. Nicotine is a nasty stain medium.
Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Gary may be onto it, I once cleaned a Zenith Bakelite set that had lived with smokers, I kept wiping off layers of a yellowish brown stinky stuff. Nicotine.....the case came out very good though protected under the scum. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Personally, I would try non-abrasive GOJO and very soft cloth wipes and see what happens. GOJO shouldn't react with the plastic, but I would try in a less visible area first, My dos centavos. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

The screen is tinted. It's supposed to be that way. The plastic is Tenite and slowly decomposes. Heat and humidity accelerate the process. I use Novus #2 polish on mine periodically.