Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Highboy Middle Repair

I noticed when I put my hand near the tubes marked in green in attached picture the volume increases,  also picks up several more stations.

Attached Files Image(s)

Try using a longer antenna. What's happening is your body is acting as the antenna.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Also make sure the antenna and RF coils do not have an open winding.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm using a wire about 25 feet long running over to the next room. It gets excellent reception while placing my finger on top the #24 1st detector
tube wire.

Is reception better with your finger on the 24 converter tube (1st detector) than it is without?

If so, seriously, check continuity of the antenna coil (5) and RF coil (7). Especially RF coil (7). An open primary of (7) will cause the very problem you describe.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron, you are correct. Open winding on RF coil 7.

I removed the coil. Found the break in the wire. I tried unwinding one turn and the thin wire
just breaks apart. Very discouraging. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As best as you can, try to count the number of turns. If you don't get it exactly right, don't worry - these coils aren't critical as to turns count. Also - and this IS important - note the direction the coil is wound in.

Rewind with 38 gauge enameled wire. When you are done, the radio will work again although it will have to be aligned.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron I will order a roll of the wire.

Success! Radio is playing perfectly. I measured the length of the windings and took a picture, zoomed in and counted 94 turns. I rewound the coil with the new 38 gauge magnet wire, it was difficult to keep track of the turns, so I wound it till I reached the length measured. I counted the turns under a microscope the count was about 150, at 34 ohms. I installed it thinking I can always remove the turns if I cant align it. To my surprise the radio played. Not only did it play, it picked up stations clearly from 560 kz to 1400. The stations were exactly where they were supposed to be on the dial. I don't think an alignment necessary. Thanks again

Attached are before and after pictures of the transformer.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello everyone. I need to replace the dial light. Can someone tell me what voltage and watts of the bulb I need. Thanks

Methinks your looking for a #41 lamp 2.5v@1/2a.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, I found a #48 in my parts drawer 2v @ .65 amp
I'm going to try it.

.065a for a farm set.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry