Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1270 alignment

I've recently recapped a 48-1270. Its working pretty well but I want to fine tune it to improve reception - I'm a little distant from good stations. The Philco service manual has pretty good instructions for alignment of the 48-1270, but I need a little more elaboration on the first alignment step for AM. The manual instructions for attaching the signal generator for step one reads as follows "Through a .1-mf condenser to aerial section of tuning gang." I am familiar with the stator section of the tuning gang, but I am having difficulty determining which part is the aerial section. I've tried to determine through schematic but can't be sure. So, I've tried this: There are two lugs on top of the condenser - one over each tuning section. When I touch the lug farthest from tuning cord with my finger the signal for a strong AM station gets considerably stronger. When I touch the lug closest to the tuning cord the signal disappears. Does this help discriminate between aerial and oscillator sections. I am guessing the first lug (farthest from tuning cord) is the aerial section. I sure would appreciate some help on this - don't want to mess this up really bad. Thanks.

On the sch there are 3 sections shown. Top to bottom, the middle one (next to R411) I think is the Aerial.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks morzh for redirecting my attention to the schematic. I was having a little trouble mapping the schematic to the physical tuning condenser. However, I noticed in schematic that WS2(F) pin 7 connects the aerial to the condenser. So, I "followed" that wire with a continuity check to the proper lug. I think I am good to go.

AM alignment went well. Set performs pretty well with built-in loop antenna. Will work on FM alignment later.