Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-650 (37-3650 Canada) Volume Fade

I recapped this radio except for the #6 and #13 (buried in the RF Chassis), put it back together and it played like a dream....then about 5 minutes later the volume faded out.  I'm pretty new to this so can someone tell me if either cap could be the problem?  I didn't do them because I was a bit intimidated by removing the RF chassis to dig them out.  I'd hate to go through what appears to be a lot of work and room for error just to find nothing changes when and if I get it back together properly.

Thanks.

Glenn

Faded out sounds like tube problems. Check you voltages and look for bad tubes. Could even be a loose socket pin connection.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

Chris:

Being the type inclined to do the least work possible, which prompted my post in the first place, I decided to take your advice to replace tubes. The 6K7 and 6A8 seemed to be the likely candidates. I had done this one before with no change but your advice made me question the tubes I'd chosen as I had just pulled them out of a bin of untested, used tubes. I do not have a tube tester and simply use a meter to make sure I have continuity on the heater pins. This time around I took them from a known good radio starting with the 6K7. Bingo, I played the radio for more than an hour with no fade. This has saved me a ton of unnecessary work had I dived into the sub-chassis.

Thanks Chris, your reply ignited the spark I needed to question my choice of replacements!

Glenn