Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

refinishing cases

anyone know a way to reproduce the original "crinkle" surface finish on philco car radios from the 30s.  those used in fords, anyway.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Fenbach,
Well I have a Antique Light used on film sets that is black wrinkle also a zenith chassis and Fred taylor who restores cabinets told me about using this product made by VHT Wrinkle plus it is used on engines and other auto I bought some but have not tried it yet !
Sincerely Richard

Wrinkle finish spray paint is readily available. Pretty sure I have a couple cans of black in the shop. I think it's Rustoleum, but not sure.

The paint is easy to find at auto parts stores.

Follow the directions on the can - or - first coat to cover, watch for fish-eyes. Second and third coats should be as heavy as possible without runs.

Drying properly is the trick. On a hot day (like here) you can put the item in the sun to dry. Heat  will cause the layers to wrinkle. Otherwise curing in a pre-heated oven or evenly applied heat with a hair dryer will work too. Uneven heating/drying can cause some areas to be heavily wrinkled and some areas to be almost smooth.

Allowing the item to dry in a cool spot works sometimes, but evenly applied heat is better.

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/