Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I was just given a Philco Model 60 Beehive radio yesterday

Greetings everyone, yesterday a friend of mine at one of the local antique malls who also happens to be the owner of said antique mall was at one of the local auctions and he picked up for me in the free pile a Philco Model 60 Beehive Radio that the cabinet is in rough shape (missing/peeling veneer, and bad finish) but the guts are all there and I was wondering if this thing is worth trying to restore and hold out for a decent cabinet on ebay, or if I should use it for parts to try and fix up my 116B?

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

I have found that if I get or build a really nice chassis I am better waiting for a nice cabinet.

A few months ago I replated a Zenith 5-S-127 chassis. I just found a cabinet for it.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I'm not sure what the condition of the chassis is underneath (how many capacitors will need replaced etc.) but from the top of the chassis, it looks like it had a mouse living in it for many years. From what I could find out in the Philco Library, the unit I have appears to be 1936 model year Model 60B, and it seems to be missing one shield  for one of the tubes (the only tube in there that had a shield for it).