Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New old guy, first post

Just bought my first project today. A Philco "Bing Crosby". The radio plays, don't know about the record player yet but I'm betting it will too. The cabinet needs restoring. I'll probably restore it for my daughter.

Well, the motor runs and all seems to function but I'm missing the platter that the record lays on. Anyone know of a parts source? Thanks.

I believe the original cartridge in the tone arm was a crystal cartridge. If the original is still in there then chances are it needs replacing. We've had good luck with using a ceramic cartridge as a replacement.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Your best bet on the platter is probably from someone with a parts set. Put a wanted ad in the Phorum Wanted Ads section and keep an eye out for swap meets and maybe even eBay.

I wish that I could be a "NEW" old guy. Guess that I'll have to settle for being an old- old guy.

Show us your radio.

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Welcome to the Phorum. I'd love to see some pictures of your radio / phono both before and as you progress with your work. I find such things educational, and learn from the others here all the time despite being a retired EE, and restoring antique radios for more than half a century now. One can ALWAYS learn something new. Take your time. Be patient. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The folks here are ready to help as best they can. Most of all, have fun. That's really the whole point of the hobby.