Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Philco 46-1201 Code 121

Hey phorum, I'm looking for help on replacing a cap that I can't seem to find, I'm also very new too this and don't understand the schematic's and I can't find the schematic for this code of radio. The cap has the numbers 30-2546 or 45 but the closes I can find are 30-2548 or 47. I also want an rca phono and 3 quarter inch jack installed but am unsure on how too proceed on where and how to install, I would also like to get the turn table too play 45 rpm record's but I also don't know how to proceed either.

Thank you - Raven

updated with photos.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I sent an email to you with some thoughts on that cap part number and I sent a schematic. the code 121 version is the first version of the model. What other parts of the radio is the cap you are looking at connected to? this will help identify it on the schematic.

Greetings, Raven !
Welcome to the Phorum. You say you are a complete novice to all this, and cannot yet read schematics. That is a fundamental skill you will need, and is not all that difficult to acquire. There are a number of parts symbols which you will have to memorize. I highly recommend the book Audel's Radioman's Guide by Edward P. Anderson. It will not only teach you these symbols, but give you a good grounding in the electronics used in these sets. It is written for everyday people, not for the technically advanced, and is an ideal beginners book for those interested in antique radios and their restoration. It is available online here:
https://archive.org/details/Audels_Radio...9/mode/2up
or can be ordered from Amazon. I suggest one of the editions from 1960 or earlier since these will concentrate most on the information relevant to the equipment we work on. There are some parts of the book which may seem technical, and will require you to learn some mathematics. This is not very difficult. Be glad you are alive today when a cheap scientific calculator can do the job. I learned to do all this using a SLIDE RULE !

You will also need certain tools, most of them can be obtained from Harbor Freight, or similar discount source. Needle nose pliers, regular pliers, a small adjustable wrench, a set of various screw drivers. small and medium diagonal cutters for wire. are basics. You will also need a decent multi meter. One thing NOT to skimp on is a soldering iron. I highly recommend getting a good Weller gun; model 8200 is ideal for our work. Get an older one with the special NUTS which hold in the tips, nor a brand new one where the tips are held in with set screws. The old ones are better, and can be found on eBay at very reasonable prices. Order some solder braid too, to soak up the solder when you are de-soldering connections. I find it works better than the solder suckers some people use. Also, get a little jar, the kind pimento peppers come in is ideal. Put some isopropyl alcohol in it, and then some violin rosin crushed up, which will dissolve in the alcohol. This makes a very good flux which you can paint on various connections to make the solder flow better. You can also paint it on the solder wick with a little brush to make it soak up the solder even better. Also, I have found that if you slightly squish solder wick length wise, so as to open up the weave slightly, this also helps it soak up the solder.

I do hope all this helps you in the hobby. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Folks here will be happy to help.

Welcome aboard !
Mike

Reading schematics is easy: I learned it as an 8-yo kid.
Symbols used in radios aren't many so as long as you remember resistors, capacitors, inductances and tubes - the rest is kinda self-explanatory like switches and antennaes.

Reading however does not mean undertstanding. You could read a phrase, but not understand the meaning. Same here: all circuits more or less are connections of RCL and then possibly some tubes with various functions. But what it does after it is connected - that's what matters. And this where the books come in.
I would not spend time trying to understand the whole theory - people spend years doing that. There is a practical part that relates to tube radios - and there are good practical guides that were used to teach repair techs. I would find and use them.
Like that one Mike pointed to. Plus there are others.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I noticed you asked about getting the record player to play 45 RPM records. You're out of luck there. The 46-1201 predates the introduction of 45 RPM records by RCA in 1949. In fact, it predates the introduction of the 33 1/3 RPM LP records in 1948. The turntable on that record player only plays 78 RPM records.

Now, I do not recommend this, as it will seriously affect the value of the unit, but, since the motor in the 46-1201 is an AC motor which runs off the mains, you could probably put in a modern turntable as long as you fitted it with a high output cartridge. The purists here would be aghast, but it could be done. You would, of course, have to modify the cabinet inside to accommodate the new turntable also. That is the only way it could be done.

Many people who own Philcos from the end of 1940-s see the record players in them replaced by non-original ones, also from end of 40-s or 50-s that play 45 rpm.
In fact my 46-1213 has VOM player in it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi, David Cook here, and new to the forum.  I hope someone can help with a question.  My Philco 46-1201 Code 121 does not have the spring loaded tabs to open up the turntable portion.  How do I access this part of the unit?

The early units had a wood frame around the slot for the record as opposed to metal. There are no spring-loaded push pins on either side of the door opening like on most other modes. To access the radio and turntable on these you need to open the door and push the top half of the cabinet back about an inch. Then you can reach underneath on each side and lift it up and off.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Here are a couple of pics of my Philco 46-1201 Code 121 unit.  There are no tabs on the front or hinges on the back.  Any ideas of how I can access the turntable?

Attached Files Image(s)