Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41280 help

Hello,
Bought this at a flea market for 30 bucks. Complete but no dial pointer or string. Will need help with that also.

Just finished recapping it. Plugged it into the Variac and nothing? Nothing lighted up. Nothing smoked though either though.

Question how do I trouble shoot this issue. My skill set is low. I can recap and do real basic issues. 

My equipment is limited to a voltmeter and a tube tester(reliability question)

It has a push button on/off instead of a knob. Bad contact maybe?

Very nice radio and would like to get it working. Have heard the sound is nice on them.

Please help.

Thanks
Chris

Ok it sounds like another exciting game of chase the electrons!
Round one. Connect your ohm meter across the ac plug (with it unplugged to the wall socket). Should read abt 11 ohms on and open in the off position. If it reads open in both positions it means you could have a bad off/on switch, bad cord or the pri of the pt is open. If it reads 11 ohm in the on position then your variac isn't plugged in.

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Nothing lighted up - a case for simple Ohmmeter buzzing all that is in series - plug, wire, power switch, transformer's primary.

Or as Terry said, if the switch is on, the meter should show continuity across the AC plug.
If that works, then you follow with the rest of it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok, nothing on the power cord so far.  How do I check the power switch and transformer?  What should the readings be for those?  

If it is one of those are they an easy attainable part and fix?

Will try and take some pictures to make sure I am doing it right.

thanks
Chris

Check the switch first.

Place your ohmmeter across the power switch (of course everything unplugged Icon_smile ) and see if you got continuity with the switch depressed. Maybe it simply needs a good blast of Deoxit D.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well did spray it with deoxit and still nothing. Any thoughts? Nervous about the pt and checking that. Would I be able to find a replacement for it and the switch?  All of the switches seem to work.  One of the contacts on the switches seem a little scorched? 
Next step? I included some pictures. 
Thanks
Chris

Attached Files Image(s)

If you like a little excitement solder a jumper across the switch. Then try it. Could be that the contacts can't pass enough current to power the transformer.
Oh on opt measure the resistance each pin 2 of the 41 tubes back to the + side of 27A. If all is well should see a few hundred ohms if a lot higher it's toast. Sorry had opt on my mind from the other thread not pt but it's not uncommon those to fail too.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I ordered two of these
RadioShack 125VAC SPDT Mini Push Button On/Off Switch, 3A to try.

How do I solder a jumper across the switch? Is it safe? I am not going to get shocked right? Dont want to damage the radio in any way.

Determined to get it going.

thanks
Chris

>I ordered two of these
RadioShack 125VAC SPDT Mini Push Button On/Off Switch, 3A to try.

These?? The important thing is that they have to be a latching switch. Push it in and release it and it stays on. Push it again and release it turns off. Momentary contact won't work.

Ron post awhile back a fix by replacing the switch with a look like from home depot. The post might be in the library.

>How do I solder a jumper across the switch? Is it safe? I am not going to get shocked right? Don't want to damage the radio in any way.

If you look it the block capacitor that the ac cord is connected to, one post has a white white wire solder to it. That's one side of the power transformer's to the ac line. That's all good and we're not going to fool with that. The other white wire that comes out of the power transformer is what we are looking at. Back to the block cap the other connection on it. The wire on it goes to the off/on switch. The connection on the off/on goes to the white wire on the power transformer.
I'm not sure how the connections are setup on the switch. If has solder lugs on the top (easy) on the bottom (not so easy) or wires.
Bottom line is need to get to the white wire that goes to the switch. Measure the resistance across the two and if you have abt 11 ohms all is well. If that's good then connect switched side of the block cap to it. Look for smoke!

Safety. Just be careful not to touch connections that have line voltage or HV. Using a variac w/an current indicator so you can watch it rise is good but not a must. Pulling the 84 for the 1st time or 2 till you get it sorted and check opt.

Here's one I did on a 41-300X. Scroll to post 7. Again I'm not sure it's the same setup. https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17076

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry