Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-1600 Speaker Stopped Working

Hi.  I am new to the forum.  I purchased a beautiful Philco 49-1600.  I was listening to my 78s last week when all of a sudden the speaker went.  I checked it in the am radio setting and it didnt work on that setting either.  No loose wires in back that I can see so I came here to ask if anyone could please offer guidance.  Many thanks and much appreciated.

Hi and welcome,

Would look to see if any of the tubes are glowing. The glowing part is wired in series so if one is so should all of them. If one is out none will glow and we'll have to figure out which one is defective.
This I think is a good starting place. There are lots of other cause but lets off simple.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you for the response and guidance. I see five tubes and they all have a small spec of orange glow.

Well that's good but it means that we need to dig in a bit further to see what the problem is. To do this you'll need a volt/ohm meter. A cheap one hf is fine, they use to give them away if you bought something at their store. Remove the plug from the wall socket and the knobs from the front by pulling them straight out by hand. Remove the screws that hold the chassis to the to the cabinet. Usually on the bottom of the chassis. Now is a good time to take a couple of pics. Unplug the phono from the chassis. Remove the chassis and take a few pics of the top and bottom. Just what to see what service work has been on it since 1949... Then the we'll get down to business.

I'm unsure as to how familiar you are any sort of electronic servicing. And what skills you have along these lines.

Here's the service info from Philco for your set: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...8-1949.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry