Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-116X Oddity

Now that I have one, I need to post a little trivia about my unit and and oddity I discovered after purchase.
The oddity is first: If you look at the chassis on my 37-116X Deluxe, there are two controls coming out the side with the rosette style Philco knobs on them. (Right side when viewed from the back of the radio.) The prints I have found show a single, screwdriver adjustable, double pot control, but not these:

Now for the bit of trivia. At least five tubes have Sylvania Stickers on them, (Two are RCA tubes, oops!) with a purchase date of March 3, 1947 and the name and address of where they came from:

Alex Radio Laboratory
1701 West 25th St
Cleveland 13, Ohio
Phone: MAin 8358

It does appear that this radio was worked on at that time as I can see some cardboard caps that look to be from that era when looking through the bottom vents of the bottom chassis plate.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

All control should have long shafts.
With knurled knobs, not rosettes.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The ones on the front do. These are on the side of the chassis and only accessible from the back of the radio.

My guess is that someone split the dual hum control into two pots. Mounted and added knobs.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That is my guess right now as I figured the original control was a hum control like my 116X has. I'll be getting a peek under the chassis shied next week if all goes as planned. I do think it neat that they put Philco knobs on the two controls, even if they are earlier ones. Some other good news is all tubes check good except the 6L7 and 6H6, so the expensive tubes are all good.

The only way to ever know what those knobs are for is to look under the chassis, see what's there, and compare against the 37-116 schematic.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, Terry guessed it right! I finally got my 37-116X Deluxe apart today and sure enough, they replaced the single hum control with two single pot controls. Did a nice job too, would look factory if I didn't know any different. Also got the speaker out safely, but it has a couple cracks at the edge just like my 38-116XX did, so that will have to be addressed. Actually, my 38-116 formed a couple more on the bench test, hope this one doesn't and it's only two goes with the speaker dope.