Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

reduce voltage

Well, having the speaker disconnected would explain voltages not measuring correctly...

You've learned a valuable lesson, but I will repeat it here for the uninitiated:

Never, ever attempt to operate your Model 111, or any Philco with an electrodynamic speaker, with the speaker disconnected.

Some of the older Philco sets had warnings on their tube layout labels to not operate the set without having the speaker plug in place (which meant to have the speaker connected to the radio).

Now as for the fadeout after 20 minutes.

Remove the big tube shield and watch the radio from the back as it plays. I would bet that one of them is going out after it gets hot. The older, globe-shaped 24 and 27 tubes are especially prone to this problem. I've seen globe shaped 27 tubes with a very pronounced flicker in the filaments. The newer ST (taper-top) 24A and 27 tubes are more reliable and much less prone to having this problem.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Denver,
Can understand not wanting to put huge speaker and chassis together on the workbench. Work space gets cramped! These antique power supplies are unregulated and therefore highly dependent on having the correct load. In this radio without the speaker about half your load was taken away. Keep at it!

Richard

Yup. How many of them could there be? Why not just replace them. I have ranted enough about mica disease. If there are any in the IF cans, and if you take the trouble to dissassemble them, and it's a 50 cent part, just replace it. Well thats my two cents worth.