Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Refurbishing a Model 60

I am refurbishing a model 60 B. All tubes replaced as well as capacitors ( excluding mica capacitors )  Attached is the schematic, and results of the voltage readings at the tubes on Table 1. As you can see there are no volts at most of the plates and grids except tube 80 reading 330 volts. All filament volts are okay  Table 2 has the power transformer data and while terminal 3-5 is only 3 volts the plates at tube 80 are  750 volts.  Tubes 42 and 80  light up but not so for the other tubes. Needless to say there is no sound. Any Thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi,
Didn't see a schematic so here's a link: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Now for troubleshooting. Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance from pin 1 or 4 of the 80 tube to and the + side of 46. Then to the + side of 45. Next connect the ohmmeter from the - side of 45 and to the chassis. note resistances and report back.

Logic would dictate to check the 80 tube, the polarity of the filter caps, open bias resistor, or an open field coil.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The resistance from pin 1  to the +side of 46  reads 0 ohms, continuity. From the + side of 45 it's Infinity ie no continuity.  From - side of 45 to chassis is 268 ohms. Regarding the wiring when I replaced the caps  I followed the existing wiring. I notice now on the schematic that the plus from 45 should connect to tube 42 directly as well as a 70 K resistor. These wires are not there as noted on the attachment. I also noted there were several versions of the model 60. The one I have is the 60 B based on the cabinet face. Attached is the new schemo for 60 B from the Radio Museum (Its A pdf so you need to open it ) which seems to more closely match what is there but again these wires are missing. I would think the newer schemo is more accurate? Regarding tube 80 its base was loose so I purchased some NOS for that tube as well as all the others. I have a tube tester  Sencore TC 136 but it does not have the sockets for these types of tubes . 

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

.pdf newer schemo .pdf Size: 510.13 KB  Downloads: 71

I forgot to add that model 60 B is version 4 since it has the wave trap.

Well the good new is seems I like I know what's wrong. Bad news is the field coil is open which is part of the speaker. You might want to double check it, might be a bad connection.
As for models the 60B the B indicates that it's in a baby grand cabinet. This would be a cathedral style. There was a bunch of other cabinets that the 60 chassis was used in with different letter designations. If it still has it's blue sticker it will read model 60 code 121. The code number would indicate differences in speaker setup, chairside, or radio phono combos. 121 is the base model sorta.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

On the back of the spkr there is a small metal cover attach w/2 1/4 hex screws. Remove them slide the cover out of the way and you see 3 solder lugs on the top of the opt. Two of the wires go directly to the field coil. Measure the resistance across these two connections. Should see abt 1140 ohms. If much higher fc is toast.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I presume you mean the speaker filed coil Part number 42  It measures 1171 ohms .

Ok so if you measure an open circuit between the +'s of 46 & 45 then there is bad connection or something is miss wired. You should see the same resistance as the field coil. Without this connection you will have no hv farther than 46. And yes # 42 is the field coil.
The diagram from RM is pretty hard on the eyes. https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry