Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1940’s 38-5X

I’m looking at a beautiful radio — very little cosmetic damage — I’m sure it’s a 38-5X. Still works, No Idea what I should offer to buy it. I have pictures. 

Thoughts?

Many thanks!            

The little make an offer tag may mean "we have no clue". Maybe 50 bucks?

Set a ceiling, start low, you can always go up. Explain it will take time and money to make it play safely.

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Herb and welcome,

Rub your hand down sides right close to front where the veneer curves around to the front. What you are feeling for is roughness or small cracks in the veneer around the bend. If this is the case it's trouble. I think I see it in the picture on the right side. To repair it's replacing the effected veneer and maybe the substrate (big job). For me that would be a no sale.

Good Luck!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

And by all means, DO NOT operate the radio even if it does still work. Old components love to release the magic smoke! If you get it replacement of caps and resistors is the rule before powering it up again. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thank you for the Great advice. I appreciate it very much.

Well folks, it will be a while before I’m back in Laramie, so this radio is fair game for anyone who’s interested. The owner tells me her sales philosophy is that a thing is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay...

You’ll find it at Aphrodite’s Emporium on E Grand Ave. in Laramie Wyoming. Tell Vi you heard about it from Herb.