Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you change the needle or needles or cartridge in mode

Hello all. I just aquired a Philco model 725 console that I paid $25 for.It sounds great however I am disappointed that it is AC/DC set. I like to see a power transformer !! Anyways the turntable runs but I have no idea how the cartridge mechanism works. The cartridge covering is a teardrop shape and is a nice hammertone gold color.The turntable is backwards so I took the back off to loolk at it. I think I see an asbestos pad under the chassis.ARRGGHH!! Anyways there is a hole on top of the cartridge cover I assume for some kind of switch.It also says "long play" 45 etc. The cartridge seems to be pushed down and it moves.I would like to know what needles to order and how to set the cartridge etc. Also is there a way to get the tone arm to lift up vertically so I can really see what I am doing,I can only lift it up a couple inches.Thanks for any info!

Hi

Most if not all of those older Philco postwar phonographs have tone arms that only raise up a couple inches.

Is your set Canadian made? I do not recognize that model number.

I suggest you contact Gib at West-Tech Services, he can not only sell you the stylus you need but can probably advise you on how to replace it. Tell him I sent you.

http://www.west-techservices.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thankyou for the information! Yes it is probably a Canadian model.