Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stupid Q Did the Brit or Canadian sets

Use metric hardware? Have never had one.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The Brits used Whitworth years ago. We bikers run into the problem with old English motorcycles like BSA and Triumph... It is different from SAE and is not metric either.

Whitworth wrenches are marked the size of the bolt they fit not the size of of bolt head or nut. Plus the head size is in tenths of a inch. Thread pitch is 55 vs 60 for sae. I still have a set of whitworth tools just have not found anybody that I dislike enough to leave them to in my will! Stay safe David

Metric came into legislated use in Canada in the early 1980's. Before that we used the same system as was used in the U.S.A.

Up until around 1938, most of the chassis that went into Philco (UK) sets were made in Philadelphia and then sent over to Perivale.

I've owned as many as four British Philcos at one time (now down to two) and had no issues with hardware. Ditto the Canadian Philcos that have passed through here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The only difference in hardware between Canadian and U.S built Philco sets is that the Canadian sets may have used Robertson socket head screws in the cabinets, since the cabinets wee often made by outside firms, the chassis hardware is the same as the U.S ones mostly, meaning hex heads.