Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this worth restoration?

Hello. I have a Philco cabinet that looks like it's from 1933 or 34. Chassis type 91. Missing some parts like knobs as you can see in the picture and tubes need to be replaced. Screen also needs to be repaired. I'm trying to appraise what it is worth in its current condition. Not sure if it makes more sense to sell as-is to a hobbyist who wants to restore, or attempt to restore and sell it after repairs. No idea how much a restoration of this kind would cost. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Unless you are good (and fast) at all of the aspects of restoration, then fixing it up will be a loosing proposition - but if you like to work for low wages - you still might loose out since buyers want either original or a near perfect restoration. Even a semi-good job may be harder to sell than as-is.

Parting it out might bring more money. It really depends how many people can drive to your location. Shipping will eat all of your profit.

Good luck

Let us know what you decide.

Russ (who is not in the market for more consoles - oh, yes, there is also that. Table radios are far easier to sell.)

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I suggest you sell it as is to a collector who would like to restore it themselves and add it to their collection. If you restore it yourself, both the cabinet, which, while still very restorable, will need some work to re-finish, and the radio itself, will require spending money on parts. You will have to go through the radio and replace ALL the paper and electrolytic condensers, including those in bakelite blocks and filter condenser cans. You will also probably have to replace most of the resistors. Then you will also have to test the tubes, and replace any which are bad or weak. Some may well still be fine. Then there is the matter of the knobs. The main source for reproduction replacement knobs for these old sets just closed up his business, and it is still unknown if anybody will take that over, so, good luck with that. You MIGHT get lucky and find a set being sold on eBay. Now, all these parts will cost money. You don't say if you purchased the radio, or if you already have any money into it, but, if you do, add that to the cost to consider. So, if you do the restoration, and do a good job, the fact is, you will be VERY lucky to break even when you sell it, since you will only be selling to those willing to come pick it up, and that seriously limits your market. So, my advice is, either restore it yourself for your own use and pleasure, and as something your family can enjoy in years to come, or sell it AS IS to someone who will restore it as a labor of love and do exactly that for themselves.

I second...or rather third what others have said.
You will not make any gains on this; even breaking even will be onerous.
There are very few radios that, once restored, could be profitable even for a person who is good at that.
Most radios are restored out of love for the hobby, and then if sold - just to possibly trade for some other radio when you are out of space, and maybe recoup some expenses.

Sell it to a hobbyist who wants to restore for himself.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

And what would you suggest I should sell it for? I have no idea what it would be worth in its current condition. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Depends on where you live, but, $100 OBO on CL will probably get you an offer. Many people might just want the chassis for a Philco cathedral (like the 90) project. They might pay that much - probably not.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

stephjab is in NJ so an email to the NJ Antique Radio Club with a note saying you are interested in selling might also be a useful way to contact folks that may have an interest in buying. The NJARC website that includes contact information for their officers is at:

http://www.njarc.org/

I would say $80 is not unheard of. Or as Russ said, 100 OBO.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks, everyone!

Pros: One of the last 91 sets produced, from very early in the 1933 season, and seldom seen. The cabinet was only introduced in June 1933, and was shared with models 18, 44, and others.

Cons: It's a console, takes up a lot of floor space, and is not desirable for that reason.

I say $50-75 to the average collector. If someone really wanted it (i.e. was aware of its relative rarity and wanted it for that reason), then yes, $80-100.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

With no knobs, major electrical parts (speaker, transformers) in unknown condition, average condition cabinet, surface rust on chassis, it's a sub $50 radio usually, unless someone likes the cabinet style. With knobs up to $100. Restored who knows? It's a model 91, and although similar to a model 90 the tubes are all common 6.3 volt tubes, in untested condition, so there isn't any salvage value there, same with the power transformer. The 12'' speaker was mostly used in console models, so there isn't much value there, the 9'' ones are more in demand as that was what the cathedral version used. I think it's worth restoring to keep, but probably not for flipping.

I agree with the consensus. It certainly has it's share of "grey areas", but still could be seen as a "diamond in the rough". When I decide whether or not to take on a project I take the "worst case scenario" approach, and Murphy lives in my back pocket! Then I make a rough calculation of investment needed on sight alone to rehabilitate the project. Having done that, TRIPLE THE FIGURE!!! Don't ask me why.
To most of us, radios are more a labor of love than anything else. Personally, I have always been fascinated with early radio. All I can say is if the radio speaks that loudly to you and you can cover the commitment of cash and time, then go with it. If you can't, list it on CL and see if it talks to someone else. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan