Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Code 125

Resoldered the tube pins and now works well. Thanks again!
Also found a hum that it had when the bass was turned up; read a tech bulletin from Philco about a tone capacitor being too close to the power switch- so I moved it and hum level is lower.

Anyone familiar with the mounting hardware for the lower (power/amplifier) chassis? There are four 1/4” holes in the bottom of the cabinet that correspond to the 4 holes in the chassis; not large enough for any kind of rubber sleeve.  The chassis has evidence (discoloration) of a rubber washer around the holes.
I am assuming that the screws are hex head self-tapping with a captive washer, as what Renovated Radios sells.  The holes in the chassis do not seem to be 10-24 or 10-32.

Yes, they are a screw, with a fairly coarse thread...the only thing I can equate them to today is they're similar to the screws used on metal building siding. Philco used those right from the beginning of when they started manufacturing radios, and continued to use them until the late 30s. Not sure why...most manufacturers were using bolts/screws with standard threads.

Then screws and washers with no rubber components?

Sometimes Philco did use a thin gum rubber washer between the chassis and the cabinet, but usually only in higher end sets. The exception was the 39-42 era, when most of the larger chassis used special rubber "feet" in the corners of the chassis.

You could put thin rubber washers under the power supply/output chassis, as it wouldn't hurt. I can't say for certain that Philco did put ones in the 38-690...I'd have to take mine apart to remember. Lol!

I am guessing there were no rubber washers; the discoloration that I saw on the chassis lip was probably just from the screws pulling the chassis tight against the cabinet.  #12 sheet metal screws work fine; hex head with a washer.  I used 1 1/4" length.

Anyone familiar with chassis batch codes?  My 38-690, code 125, says "14"- does that refer to the week of production?  Going from June 1st, 1937?  Also, cabinet is stamped with a "19", which I understand to be the Maddox Table Co.  Did they build all of the 38-690 cabinets?  Just curious in Michigan.....