Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 38-1 and 38-3 dial

dose any one know if the 38-1 and the 38-3 dial plastic is the same the one with the numbers on it 
benny

I really do not know...... can anyone answer this question? I have not seen one before....

Both have the same frequency coverage.

Both use that awful "Unit Construction".

The original part numbers of both dial scales differ; the 38-1 and 38-2 use P/N 27-5358 while the 38-3 uses 27-5283 (same as model 37-9X).

I would guess one would fit the other...no guarantees since I do not own either a 38-1 or a 38-3.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

They are different. I had an almost tragic accident with my 38-2 dial (same as 38-1).

Thinking I may need to replace it, I checked out the RadioDaze' 38-3 reproduction to see how closely it matched. I measured the angle between the same two frequencies on each and they differed. I forget by how much. This made me doubt the the 38-3 dial would track correctly on the 38-2. Maybe a 38-1/2 could be aligned to use the 38-3 dial?

When I started to restore the chassis I first removed the tubes and was cleaning them with Windex. Well, dummy me, I didn't see it was misting onto the dial. That caused dust /dirt on the dial to blob up. I very, very, very carefully cleaned the dial with Q-tips. Relatively happy ending. FYI - the blue ink seemed to be the most vulnerable, then red and then black.

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA