Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-630 sub-chassis removal...?

Hi all- just joined, looking forward to the sharing of enthusiasm and knowledge here! I'm fairly new to this whole thing, having had zero interest in electricity/electronics for 68 years and then I saw "Electronics for Dummies" in our library and now I'm all-in, trying to learn what I can from books, forums, FB groups, and finding and restoring old radios. I have about 1/2-dozen restos under my belt, but recently picked up a project that's quite a bit more complex: I need to remove the sub-chassis in this 37-630 console so I can get access to component replacements, and to replace the rotten rubber grommets holding the tuning condenser in place. I'm very reluctant to just start disconnecting wires and un-bolting things with zero prior experience in this kind of electro-surgery; can anyone here point me to a step-by-step tutorial, or any other reassuring process that I can slowly follow?

Welcome Oldcoot! Start by getting a very clear schematic, and thoroughly read it until you have a working idea of the project at hand. Second, take numerous photos of the chassis, paying attention to wiring paths for re-installation. Third, mark everything when possible, and be ready to replace a lot of wire with decayed insulation. Best of luck! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

This web page helped me when I worked on a 37-630 table radio. It’s not a step by step but it has some good info.

http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/philco.htm

Thank you, Tucker- that does indeed help! Hard to believe no wires need de-soldering/cutting! Guess we'll see about that.

Thanks Gary, will do. I also stumbled upon a thread/blog by Ron Ramirez which is exactly the kind of tutorial I was hoping existed somewhere on the Web. Getting grommets that I hope are right from RenovatedRadios, so I'll methodically forge ahead on this advanced-level (for me) deconstruction.