Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hammarlund HQ-129-X

The tube is likely 6SS7, as the pin 7 is Cathode and should be Grounded, and pin 6 is empty, so probably just grounded for the heck of it. 6SG7 cannot b econnected that way.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

What tube are you talking about? All the electrical work is now done. V1, V3, V4, & V5 are all 6SS7. If you look st the schematic I provided you will see that the cathode of a 6SS7 is pin 5

Yesterday I finally got around to painting the cabinet. I sprayed it with primer, and let it dry for about 4 hours, then sprayed it with gray. I let it dry outside until the sun began to set, then brought it inside, and set it up with an electric heater blowing into it to aid in the drying. I'd have pit it in my oven, but it is just a little too tall to fit, so I figure this is the best way. It dried pretty well by the time I went to bed and turned off the heater and checked it. It is dry to the touch, but today I am "cooking" it again just to let it harden more before I reinstall the guts.

The HQ-129-X is DONE. I am listening to WSM in Nashville, to The Grand Old Opry. The set is hooked to my outdoor antenna and ground. It is the best receiver I have worked on. I now remember why I love Hammarlund general coverage receivers. It is connected to my Emerson bookshelf speaker, and sounds great. More important, the reception is everything I remember, better than any of my radios, except perhaps my Scott SLRM, but I would have to test them side by side. Just from my memory I would say they are VERY close, but would give the edge to this Hammarlund. I will make a video of it working soon. This is what it looks like working.
[Image: https://64.media.tumblr.com/75d04cbd9d77...be919a.jpg]

Congrats!

I attended a national meeting at the Opryland Hotel years ago; the place was gigantic.

Got a chance to see the Opry. Got there too late, missed a lot of real Ol' Time and Bluegrass but did catch some. Then the more commercial Country acts came on. (This was about 25 years ago, so I can't remember what the acts were. Still, very nice. I could really like Tennessee!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55