Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 245

Hi.
I have this Philco, but in my search I didn't find much information.
I found the diagram on the nostalgiaair website and the registration on the radiomuseum.
Is this a rare model?

Some pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Regards from Portugal,
Carlos

Hi Carlos,

That appears to be an export version of the model 45. The metal I.D. tag would be put on for identification, which was required for most countries around the world. In Canada, your set was a model 345. These have become known as "butterfly" sets, due to the grill cutouts looking like butterfly wings.

Looks very much like a Philco 45C. You probably have the European model.

Many thanks Brad.
The case is like the 45C "butterfly" but the chassis is  different.

Many thanks RodB.
My radio is like the  Philco 245E   (export model)
but with others valves.

Regards from Portugal,
Carlos

Interesting, 78-E tubes instead of 39/44, and a three-gang tuning condenser instead of a two-gang unit. Overall, the 245 should be a somewhat better radio. Not much, but the double tuned input circuit would make it more selective.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Cabinet's the same.

Probably close enough inside to 45.
First I thought, what if it is a record palyer version of 45 (which is what 2xx radios were), but now that Ron explained it.

Fun to fix, with the phenolic assembly boards. Not. But a good radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, Philco used a "2" prefix on American models to indicate a radio-phonograph in the 1930 and 1931 model years, but then switched to different nomenclature for those in American models in the 1932 season with a series of models with two digits starting with a 2. For example - model 23X used a 91 chassis.

1934 brought about the "500" series of radio-phonographs.

Then in 1936, their radio-phonographs carried the same model numbers as the matching radio chassis, only with a "P" in the model number. Ex.: 116PX used a 116 Code 122 chassis

Anyway...

Sometime in the mid-1930s, Philco added a "2" prefix to export model numbers, such as this 245.

I find it also interesting that this 245 was made for 115 volt, 50-60 cycle AC operation which was essentially the same as the USA standard. I seem to recall that most of Europe was on a 220 volt standard at the time, but I think France may have been using 115 volts then? I don't know about Portugal.

Regarding 39/44 vs 78E tubes. Both are remote-cutoff pentodes, and both have similar characteristics. The main difference is in the basing - the 39/44 has the suppressor grid internally connected to the cathode and uses a five-pin base, while the 78 (and 78E) have the suppressor grid lead brought out to a separate pin, requiring a six-pin base.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

The USSR had 127V std for a ling time, and it suevived in a few places in 70s and even 80s.
In trains they provided 127V (or was it 110V) for a long time.

All electronics in the USSR always had 127/220V switch (this is why John's (Elliott) Record radio he got from Peter is working here). All my electric razors etc were equipped with it too.

220V was introduced in 60s to lower metal requirements by using thinner wires. Before that good insulation absence prevented it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I thought, like many countries in Europe, Russia/USSR had parts of the electrical grid built at different times, so a hodgepodge of mains voltages were used? Hence why their radios all seem to have tapped primaries with multiple voltage settings , all the way from 115 up to 250, almost like they were built for export.
Britain was even worse since they had electrification begin early there, which was one of the reasons AC/DC sets were almost as popular as they were in North America. Some areas had 175 volts AC, others had 200 volts, others 240, and still others used DC, whist others had no service at all. Also up until recent decades, they sold appliances with the plug missing because there was no national standard for electrical outlets until the 1940s.
Odd that this model 245 is 115 volts AC only, a lot of the export sets had tapped primaries, even my Canadian Philco, a Tropic clone has this.

Hello everyone.

My radio came from Spain and for many years the voltage was 110v.

I've already confirmed that the transformer is for 115 v, it has the correct number for that voltage

Regards from Portugal,
Carlos