Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Cathedral Table Radio Search

I am starting a search for a Philco cathedral style tabletop radio to restore for the guest bedroom in my 1940's decorated cottage in Michigan. The mahogany furniture to be complemented was made in 1945 and was inherited from my parents. I am not familiar with these radios. Please make a suggestion for me to look for. I will be doing the restoration myself in my shop here on Long Island in NY. Keep in mind parts availability, cabinet restoration and production volume. Rarity does not matter to me. I just want a nice piece of quality functional furniture to complete the decor.

Attached Files Image(s)

There really were not any 1945 Philcos, or other Brands. 1946 was the year that new radios started showing up again as radio production for consumer sets ceased during the War. Things had changed, more Bakelite, smaller radios, no more Cathredrals. The Cathredrals were a 30s thing. Here is a link to some 1946 Philcos, you could also go back to the 42s which were the last sets sold before production stopped and Philco went to War. More wooden sets and a bit larger in 1942. The 1942 line was going into stores just around the end of 1941, December 7, a day which will live in infamy.....

Hope you find a good one.

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1946a/

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul......I have two of the console models, a 46-1209 that is on my bench now and a 41 model that will be my next project. Maybe I should look prewar then?

I'd like to suggest something to you. As already said, post war production really started in '46 and the styles had changed considerably since '41. The wood-cabinet cathedrals, tombstones and aircraft carrier wood table-tops were being replaced by smaller sets, some still wood, but trending to Bakelite, Plaskon etc.

For a cottage, even if the furniture is wood and styled for the mid-late 1940's, there is no reason why a Bakelite cabinet set wouldn't have been featured.

My suggestion for style, ease of repairability, access to repair parts today, and last, (but way less than least) performance would be the 1950 models 50-920, 921 and 922.

If I remember correctly, these 50-92? radios are AA6 sets with tuned RF amp stages. I have owned one and it was a very nice sounding set with very, very good sensitivity and selectivity.

Anyway .... just a thought for you.

Thank You John......Those are the things that I need to know about. I'm not ruling any radios out and will look at them all.

A Philco 60 would be a good specimen, I'm not sure if any had mahogany veneer in the cabinets though, but they are common, and simple enough. There is also the model 89 series, though they can be stubborn to get working sometimes. Then there is the model 70, those sometimes came with mahogany veneer, either that or it was Sapele or Makore, others are walnut, model 70s are more complex then a 60, are a better performer, but are more collectable then the other models. I don't know about a model 71's cabinet, chassis is similar to a 70 but uses 6.3 volt tubes.

Most cathedrals are pre-1940.

So if you want 1945-ish look and feel, find a time-appropriate table-top.
You could look into the gallery and find a Philco, or you could go with another brand.
A Philco Hippo would be appropriate, though it is a backelite; but a very charactered radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

50 92 has a nice look, Hippo looks good in the dark, choices..

[Image: https://i.etsystatic.com/7575668/c/2242/...9_f4y4.jpg]

These look good 50 922, with the internal antenna you could use a Terk depending on how remote cabin is.......easy to use just place it where it helps most near set. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Yes , the 50-922 would even be a good match for color. Several members have suggested this radio for the match to the period. It has moved up to the short list. Not a cathedral but definitely a looker!

Hippo. Ain't too bad looking a radio, even not in the dark Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.