Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 42-350,355

i was looking at these two sets on ebay today. both were fm capable and therefore should be the old NB fm sets. what confused me was, that instead of the frequency in MHZ they called out the stations by CALL NUMBER,from 21 to 99. i dont understand what they mean and even tried to google it, to no avail. whats it all about alfie??

This radio will have old FM.
The old FM was from 42 to 50MHZ and started operating in 1941.

The new FM was reassigned in 1945. So your FM won't work today unless you use a converter or do something else.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just add a "4" in front of those "call numbers" and insert a dot between the "call numbers" and you have the actual frequency.

21 = 42.1 mc
99 = 49.9 mc

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have a 42 355, I do get get some signals at very end of FM, it could also just be that the radio is a bit offIcon_smile.
The thing is heavy, kind of a console in a table top case.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul - Just a little bit. Maybe it's pirates. I hope it looks good. You'd like to have a radio in your collection that doesn't receive anything look good. So, what happens to a"band"oned frequencies?

Not going to be pirates on that old band. Could be baby monitors or more likely intermodulation from strong local FM stations mixing with various other signals.

Also, the old FM band was not NB, the transmissions specs, disregarding frequency, were exactly the same as the current band.

Have not heard any crying babies....yet. Who knows, the Standard Broadcast band works well.

Here is mine, scroll to the photo before the one displayed and you can see the complimentary cigarette butt burn on top, sign of the times. This was before any work, not sure if I have an after photo. I got new pushbuttons and escutcheon from Larry Bordanaro I think was fellow's name. Cleaned the case and a little Orange and Beeswax polish and I left the case at that, has that patina as antiquers say. The photo finish is pretty good so why mess with it. Had a fellow in my club help with caps, busy underneath there......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...ed-public/

I should probably do Grille Cloth, it gotcleaned and straightened, I will try to shoot a new photo, it is buried in basement, it is very heavy and so big it sometimes generates complaints from a certain person.....

In my Flickr feel free to poke around, nothin too personal or it would not be in there, you can peruse some of my radios, for better and worse.

Paul B.

Tubetalk1

I have a 42-355 that I restored a number of years ago, and I too can get a couple of the strong local FM stations, at the upper end of the dial. I believe that they are the image frequencies being picked up.

I simply take it as they say, if it is listenable enjoy, otherwise just a piece of "charm and history" Icon_smile.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I have a Zenith Spinet with FM working band, but nothing on it, just noise.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hey Paul, that's a nice looking set. Charm and history, as a wise man once said.

Mike - "No static at all".