Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-195 Restoration

It looks like part #12, an RF choke connected across a 10k resistor to the plate of the 1232 tube. The other end would be connected to another resistor and a 100pf cap.

Makes sense, thank you Rod.

Question, what does it mean "use loop on generator" in the instructions attached?

Also, which one of these instructions should I use for a 40-195?

Thanks in advance!

Create a loop antenna transmitter with a coil of about 5-6 turns of wire 4-6 inches in diameter and connect the hot side of your signal generator to one end. You now have a radio transmitter that varies the radio reception signal strength by how close it is to the receiver.

The second set of instructions can be used for the 40-195 alignment (note upper right corner).

I see, thank you for the clarification Rod as this is a new procedure for me. 

One question is does it also need a ground on the signal generator?

Normally no. The loop is small enough to be a short and usually reduces the signal output. But you can always try an earth ground on the other end of the loop just to note the effect.

Rod, 

Connecting the loop to the output and tuning the signal generator to the same wavelength as the radio, say 580khz, I should hear a tone from the SG on the radio?

If not, what am I doing wrong?

Where are you in the alignment procedure? Make sure the band switch is on broadcast.

Operation 1 was successful connecting to terminal 1 on the back of the radio using a .1mfd inline and the ground to the chassis. 

Operation 2 is iffy where the signal does not seem to be very strong if at all. 

Operation 3 seems to work. 

Now to qualify something, under Connecting Aligning Instruments, I am not removing the tubes and replacing with an aligning adapter. I am not sure what it even is.

.pdf Aligning.pdf Size: 62.31 KB  Downloads: 82
I found this document for aligning Philco's which seemed easier to follow but still not much luck.

I should mention that I am using an Eico 330 signal generator that seems to be in working order.

I'm not sure what the aligning adapter is but I can guess. I would say it gives you the capability to use a test meter of lower ohms-per-volt to measure the AVC voltage. Meters of the day would "load" a circuit and indicate a false reading. Using a high impedance DMM or VTVM will have very little impact on the AVC voltage providing it is connected to the high side of the volume control.

I am looking for some guidance with how to go through and validate voltages on the tube pins. I thought I saw someone post something with the tubes and pinnings but I am not positive.