Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-195 Restoration

I know I have the wiring wrong, I will test the wires to ensure they go to the proper terminations now that I know what is what. 

I see what you are saying with the FC going to the electrolytics, makes sense as I read more. 

This has been a challenge, but learning a lot and having fun at it. Cannot wait to hear this unit play.

As far as I know the I don't think it matters which FC wire goes to which FC terminal and the same w/the VC. I don't they are polarity sensitive. The key thing don't mix the FC with VC wire else your spkr, p/s and opt will hate you![Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...wisted.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Icon_thumbup

Some progress today as I was able to connect the speaker and now have some sound, just not broadcast at this time. Sounds like just static on the high bands and gets less loud on the lower bands. 

Spent some time rebuilding the dial lights as the wires covering was cracked and falling off. 

Thoughts on the sound? All the tubes are correct for the model and they all tested fine. Cleaned up the contacts on the tuner as it was very crusty.

Looking at past posts, I see that on the 40-180 model the last button on the right must be pushed in to use the dial tuning. I do not see what each button supposed to do, does it sound reasonable it is the last button?

I would suspect that the thumb wheel next to the tuning that operates the bandswitch also switches it from manual to push button. Manual would be with the pointer at it's lowest position. This is a guess as I've never had a 40-195 but it does seem a resemble the 41-300 which have. From the schematic the chassis are all most the same from the IF back thru the audio output stage. The mix/osc are different as it use two XXL tube (7A4) triode. That makes a low noise front end.

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1941a/#Model_41-300X

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You are correct, the outside wheel selects the tuning options.

It is really interesting that the schematics for this radio does not fit the radio exactly. The tubes on the tag on the inside of the chassis are slightly different from the schematic.

<The tubes on the tag on the inside of the chassis are slightly different from the schematic.

How so? Just want to be sure that we are at looking at the same set and someone hasn't installed a tube or two that won't work in the position that it is placed in. I hate chasing my tail!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I figured out the mystery on the tubes which was my lack of experience showing through. On the tag inside the cabinet and the schematic there is a designation for a 1232 tube. What is in my chassis is a 7G7. Looking up the tubes online it appears the 1232 is the 7G7.

That is a fine sub for that tube. I just didn't want to get down to the wire having exchanged 20 posts on 1 issue to find it had the wrong tube in it!!!!!! It's very exasperating! For me.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Oh I totally understand and agree!

After cleaning the contacts on the dial that switches the bands and connecting an antenna, I now can get 1 faint station on the lower band of broadcast.

I am wondering if the oscillation coil is faulty...just what I have been reading online but have never tested one or had one failed.

Generally speaking it's the '28-'35 or so sets that can have the rotting coil issues. I've had bad coil in later sets some lightening hits that have smoked the antenna and trap coils to a cinder. Rodent damage eating them or whizzing on them and that rots them.
I'm kind of a simple guy if I'm troubleshooting an osc issue I use a digital communications receiver to track it, check it's frequency, and it's level.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I did not detect any rodent activity and a black light did not show any whizzing Icon_smile

Working on checking voltages to see what may be failing.

Update
I replaced the Mica caps and now can pull in a couple AM stations, although weak they are still consistent and auditable. Since AM is not exactly great here, I am going to opt to add a 1/8" jack and bluetooth receiver so this can be of more use. Looks fairly straight forward if I add a bypass switch so I do not disturb the original components (not that it matters as the wires are all replaced, caps and resistors).

Anyone have an idea what this is tucked away by the antenna connections on a Philco 40-195?

It looks like it is covered in tar.