Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 50

Hello,
On ebay, a model 50 with a cabinet from 70 is for sale. Is there any way to know if it is an original part, or an assembly of some former owner? According to the information on this website, there were some first copies of the 50 model with a 70 cabinet. But there may be doubts about its originality.
Step ebay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125052736499?ha...SwFuBhuVnj

Even though the 50 variant in a 70-type cabinet is not documented, enough of them have turned up over the years that they appear to be a legitimate factory issue.

The price of the one in your link is ridiculous...in my opinion. For reference, I paid $100 for a completely restored 50 like this from a Phorum member. $500 is silly. Oh, and model 21 (which is not what this is) is not as rare as the seller would have you believe.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Have to agree with Ron about the price, with the sole exception of the work "silly".
I would rather use the expression "sheer nuts". Absolutamente loco.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

No comment on pricing.

When I look at the photos, my perception is that the speaker is not hanging correctly and the grille cloth seems wrong? Yes / no ?? It just seems .... wrong.

I may not have expressed myself well. I have sent the link because of the fact that I do not know if it is really one out of the factory.
The price is an armed robbery !!!

John B

There is no backing board for the grille cloth, for one thing. You can see the wood frets of the grillework through the cloth in back.

Ferran

Glad you agree. I just wanted to warn you about that in case you were considering this one for purchase. A fair price for a restored one - $150-300, the higher number for a really nice one. For one in the condition as shown in your link...$75-125.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The grille cloth is wrong, and the knobs look like those used on a U.S made G.E, originals would have been either rosette knobs on a model 50, or the older flower pot style if it were a model 21, there is also some cabinet damage, and someone had a go at refinishing at least part of the cabinet, it's all academic anyhow since neither a model 21 or a 50 is worth anywhere near $500. People generally buy these sets because they like the cabinet, and there are more then enough model 70s around to fill that need, which was a better set then either the model 21 or the 50. What would tell the tale if it were a legitimate factory set, would be if we could see the plywood bottom, preferably from the inside with the chassis removed, if the factory had re-drilled the bottom the holes for the model 50 chassis would have been countersunk from the top for the chassis washers, though I think from the pictures we could say that there are no recesses for chassis washers. I had an opportunity to buy a model 51 about three years ago, the price was O.K but not great, but I think two of the knobs were missing, or wrong, and rather then go on another parts hunt I just walked away, I don't think the model 51 was much better of a design then a model 50.
Happy Christmas
Arran