Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to now?

After taking a deep dive into old radio programs in the early 1970's I picked up a Philco 41-608P console. Recapped and aligned it. I replaced the original turntable with a Sony TC250  tape deck and wired it into the phono input. I was able to acquire some 7 1/2 inch reels of old radio programs through trades I made in the Indiana Radio Club. Spent many enjoyable hours listening to the programs from my youth on my old radio.
Fast forward 40-45 years, I've still got it and the tapes of the old radio programs. Still works perfectly. I still enjoy old radio programs. Meanwhile technology has marched right past me.......
Old radio programs are now available through the internet. Good ones, bad ones and some in between. I can even listen to them while driving in my car (Sirius XM and spotify)
So my question - what do I do with a fully operational 1941 Philco radio with a tape deck and a bunch of tapes of old radio programs that I've listened to many times? Is this just another artifact from the days of yesteryear? Do I just need to let go? I don't need it for AM radio (God forbid) or shortwave listening. Any ideas on how to incorporate today's availability of old time radio into an old Philco that was made the year before i was born?

I honestly haven't undetstoid what you want to do. Or what the question is.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Get yourself a little iPod type audio player, download several gb of OTR broadcasts and/or podcasts from the web, wire an auxiliary input or a bluetooth receiver into the Philco and let the audio player play 24/7 on shuffle. When you want to listen, just turn on the Philco. Toss the tapes, sell them, give them away .... whatever your level of sentimentality will allow.

Here's a good place to look around for shows. You can download single or whole series of a program. Old Time Radio : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello astrotraveler,
I agree With John you can stream audio into that nice Philco I have a 1941 GE console that is exactly what I do and I also have a low power Am transmitter .
Sincerely Richard

Thanks guys, this sounds like a plan. I'm going to download programs from the internet and feed it into the old radio. I also like the idea of adding a low power transmitter!