Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help me id these radios

please help me id these radios the radio on the top i suspect has the wrong chassis i think it is a 112 it use two 47's 4 24's and one 80 the photo with the normal and max switch is the top radio

Attached Files Image(s)

The top one is an 87 Highboy cabinet. The stretcher base has been cut off, unfortunately. The chassis can't be a 112 using that tube line-up (or that few of tubes either). The 86 chassis used a switch to choose the power input like that one.

The bottom one is the Deluxe Highboy, and looks to be in nice shape!

On the top cabinet photo - Not only has the stretcher base been cut off, but parts of each leg have also been cut off. Yes, the chassis is obviously a 112 with that NORMAL - MAX switch. Only the 111 and 112 had that. And since you say it uses 47 outputs, then it must be a late 112 chassis.

Both are 1929 models. Count the number of tubes in the chassis which is inside the radio in the bottom photo to see what you have.

6 tubes - model 65
7 tubes - model 76
8 tubes - model 87
9 tubes - model 95

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

ok so help me id the one on the bottom it has may be a 96 chassis it is using two 45's one 80 3 24's and 3 27's it looks like musical chassis to me. could also have the wrong tube shield on i see that the model 95 has the same tube line up 
benny

Go back and read post #3 above.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

i see that the model 95 has 9 tubes i just now got this home and am able to get a better look at it i was just wondering about the difference in chassis i have not had a chance to remove the bottom thank you for your help i am just trying to be sure i have all the correct stuff 
benny

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok. Differences:

Model 95 has a brass dial scale, illuminated from above; Model 96 has a tan celluloid dial scale, illuminated from behind.
Model 95 has a two position local-distance switch; Model 96 has a four position tone control.
Model 95 uses the 1928-29 cylindrical capacitors under the chassis; Model 96 uses Bakelite block capacitors.
(I think) Model 95 uses the older 1929 speaker connector with four pins spaced wide apart - a large rectangular plug; Model 96 uses the "newer" speaker connector which is the same as used on 1931 Philcos such as models 70, 90, 112, etc. - a round plug with four pins spaced closely together, much like a 4-pin tube base, only with one large pin.

And that's about it. Icon_smile They are otherwise the same.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

thank you so much you are a wealth of information, so this is a 96 chassis i just opened it up and it has Bakelite caps i just wanted to verify this before i started on this. this is the second time i have gotten one of these radios that someone has swapped the chassis the caps are easy to replace i am trying to figure out the best way to recap the can do to a hand injury thank once Agin
benny