Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610, 620, 630 Tombstone?

Hello all. Can someone tell me if the PHILCO 610 620 & 630 tombstone cabinets use the same chassis? I shipped a Philco 610 to my daughter via UPS in beautiful condition, packed it right, put FRAGILE stickers on the box etc; & it arrived with the cabinet crushed. The chassis is in good shape so looking for a cabinet that it will fit in without modifying it. I realize that the mount for a speaker might be a bit different, but not my concern right now as long as the chassis volume, band, dial controls, dial window etc, line up with the holes in the cabinet. If these models will take the chassis, are there any other models that will? THANKS! Joe

Welcome to the Phorum! As a new member the first posts you make are approved before posting by our moderator team. Once you post a thread it may take a little time before one of us logs in and are made aware of your post. If there are any possibilities for a cabinet substitution these folks will help. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thank you Gary!

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your 610 cabinet getting damaged. You didn't mention whether it was a tombstone, table model, or console.

Some hints on shipping:

* Always overpack. Allow room for at least two inches of packing material to completely surround the radio. Pack it tightly so it cannot move around inside.
* Pack in such a manner that it can survive being dropped to a concrete floor from a height of 6 feet. UPS packages are routinely subject to such extreme treatment.
* FRAGILE stickers are useless. Shippers pay no attention to them.

That said, yes, there are differences between the 610, 620, and 630 chassis. However, the overall size of the three is about the same, so you should be able to install a 610 chassis into the following cabinets:

610B, 610T, 611B, 611T, 620B, 623B, 625B, 642B.

It will likely fit a 630B as well but be aware the 630 escutcheon is larger and made for use with a shadowmeter, which the 610 and 620 do not have.

Of these cabinets, the easiest to find will likely be a 620B, followed by a 610T, 623B and 610B.

If you are not familiar with these models, look at them in the Philco Gallery. Link 1 Link 2

Another thing to consider: The 610B uses a small (5 inch) speaker while the 610T, 620B & 625B use 8 inch speakers.

I once installed a 630B chassis (with shadowmeter removed) into a 610T cabinet, so I know the chassis sizes are similar.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron! Great information!

Follow up Ron. It's a tombstone. Thanks

Here is a 620B cabinet     vIntage PHILCO 620 TOMBSTONE: WOOD SHELL & GRILL CLOTH 18 & 1/2" x 13" x 9" | eBay    

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

The Catman, well you know if you need it you need it. I have bumped into many of his offerings on ebay while searching.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Oh, the Catman dismembered another radio....
Gee, if Kirk doesn't fix my cabinet, I will need one too. My 620's been waiting for like 5 years now.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

5 measly years Mike?  Icon_redface Icon_redface

You will have it this spring... Unless someone else gets sick.  Icon_cry  

So will Sam and Terry.

You wont even recognize it! (Mostly because its been 5 years) 

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I that was wine, would just be getting better with age- just saying
Simon

Simon

It just might, it just might.....however, myself, I do not get better with age. Just older, stinkier and crankier. Icon_lol

I am just trying to arrange the meeting of the cabinet and myself before one of us will have decomposed.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_lol Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Found a 611 cabinet in good shape on EBAY. Thanks for everyone's help.

Glad you found a cabinet for your chassis.  Don't be a stranger.  Take care and BE HEALTHY!   Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan