Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 6XF9 AM/FM

I have a problem with one of these. I need to get it out of the case to repair it.

However,.... the darn thing resists all efforts to remove the knobs. Does anyone have any idea how these things come apart ?

The knobs will pull out only so far and then stop,.. like they are hitting a spring or catch.

What's the secret ?

First make sure there are no set screws anywhere on the knobs. If there are, of course you will have to ease them back.

If that's not the case, if you can somehow get in there and spary a little WD40, wait a few hours, or overnight, and then try gently to coax them out with a couple of putty knives 180 degrees apart, you might get them off. Provide a barriar between the cabinet and the knobs, like a piece of thick cardboard, so you do not mar the cabinet.

Sometimes the "spring"steel insert that is provided to create a tension between the knob and shaft gets corroded and rusts, and it forms a pretty tight bond with the knob spring.

Be very patient, and let us know what you find.

Thanks,good idea,... it was actually going to be my next "try". I recall hearing at another forum that these were a particullarly hard one to get apart,... I just can't remember where I saw the answer. And yes, I'm older than the radio. : )

If anyone else knows something, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Use a little pb blaster it really get in the rust . take a piece of insulated wire loop around knob and pull useing your thumbs against cabinet.
This should work. no scratch getter offer method. Icon_biggrin But do look good for set screws and catches. Icon_wink