Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610

Thanks for the warm welcome. I started to work on removing the electrolitic capacitors this evening and I already am getting a list of questions together. Will post with some pictures soon.

So I found out why I was having issues following the schematic while taking the 610 apart. I needed the later model drawing! Things were not adding up. I have included a picture of the cabinet for any further I.D. anyone might supply. Thx

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's the pic in the gallery of your set. https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1936a/#Model_610B It's been refinished and the grille cloth has been replaced. I could be wrong but I think the color of the cabinet should be more of a single medium walnut rather than this two tone saddle shoe look.

Philco a lot of times will use service bulletins to update diagrams and parts rather than redraw to change a component or two.

B after the model # stands for Baby Grand it means table top cabinet. F or X means console, PF is a phono/console, L console short legs, H console long legs, MB or MX moderne very deco, LZX, CS, or RX are chairside sets. There are always exceptions. The 370 is a chairside but has no letter. https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1931b/#...70_Lazyboy Uses a modified model 70 chassis. But the 70 and 90 were used in a lot of different cabinets just different numbers.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

No Terry, original finishes on the 610B cabinets were indeed two-toned like the example in the Gallery. Too many people refinish these in a single color when they refinish.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's the schematic right side up...
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3mxev7han1427....jpg?raw=1]

Now that I look at Jim's cabinet I don't see a decal at the top. Maybe it's been refinish... Tnx for letting me know what is proper.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I am stumped by this resistor. As far as I can tell it is supposed to be item # 39 on the wiring diagram and part #3524 10k resistor. The color code is not right and the wattage is way big. Any ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

So it looks like a 9k resistor. Perhaps a replacement someone had lying around?

Number 39 on the later production schematic looks like 9K.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hello Terry,
As Ron Stated the Philco 610b is two tone I should know since that is a Photo of my Philco 610b and even after many years it still looks and works great!
Far as that resistor that sure looks like it has been replaced and look at the more modern capacitor too and that solder connection.

Sincerely Richard

I think the resistor is item 39 on the later wiring diagram but a replacement. The one end was connected to an electrolytic capacitor #41 that had been replaced during a previous repair. Do I need to replace it with a 2 watt. parts list don't call for one that large.

Posted this in the past good info on all resistors.  https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...#pid177816

Looks like the 10K resistor in early production was a #3524 which was rated at 1 Watt. Later production used the 9K which most likely was also rated at 1 Watt. So a 1 Watt replacement should be adequate, although going to a 2 Watt certainly could not hurt. Modern resistors are physically much smaller for the same wattage rating so they tend to get hotter when dissipating the same power.

Hello Jim,
How is the Philco 610 going ?

Sincerely Richard

Hello. So I am back at the 610 this week. I was out of town last week so I didn't have much to report. The one thing that I have managed to figure out is that my radio is a version that is wired like the newer drawing that is available but does not include the phonograph. Also my version does not include one of the bakalite block capacitor but has two of these(see photo) instead.There are other minor changes that were confusing me that I was able to figure out. One thing I learned pretty fast from reading other posts on this sight was to get the tube pin out and mark it on large blown up drawing. Once I did this I was able to trace all the wiring and get a better understanding of what I got. I also got all my new capacitors and resistors to get started on replacing them. Is it possible to clean the tuning capacitor without removing it from the chassis? I think that might be my worse job ahead of me     as I have already cleaned out the bakalite blocks.. Thanks for the interest in my progress. Jim B.