Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FM Conversion?

Hello Ron, I've got my 41-287 operating again and sounding great but I really miss FM. Would it be possible to add an FM tuner to this radio maybe connecting it through the "Television" feature switch? Many years ago I built an Eico FM tuner kit which I wired into a Magnavox hifi . Has this ever been done on an antique radio? Thanks in advance for any information, JEP

There were a number of FM converters sold in the 60's for car radios that would work with AM radios, and send the siignal to the AM radio. Haven't seen one in many years, but they were cheap and plentiful in their day. Probably some still around.

And don't forget the Pilotuner (T601) if you want to stay within the same timeframe. The generally only fetch $20-30 on ebay and are simple to get going. Better still is the Howard unit, model 482. Both of these deliver an audio output suitable for the inputs of many old radios. I use a Howard with my Midwest 16 tube 'table' set. Icon_smile

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Thanks, codefox and exray. So far no luck on e-bay but will keep trying. JEP