Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grundig Balance Control

Does anyone have a secret technique for freeing up a frozen Grundig Balance Control?

Rod

There are many Grundigs, so if you show a photo, maybe we know what you are referring to.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Glad you asked, Mike. I'm working on a Grundig SO 121 U/a balance control. It's a 1960 AM FM Phonograph stereo but the radio is mono only. The balance/volume is a dual control. Center shaft is volume and works fine. Outer shaft is balance and doesn't move. Being a Grundig, the controls are pretty much sealed but I'm spraying cleaner on it. I think it's the shaft that is the culprit. The last Grundig I had was the same and it came loose with alcohol, which I will try next. Getting alcohol into the sealed control is difficult. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Get a cheap oil squirt can from Harbor Freight, and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it. With the control facing upward, squirt a drop on several spots around the circumference, and wipe off excess. Then gently keep trying to rock the control back and forth. It should break loose. If not, the next step is a little squirt of PB Blaster, followed by the same routine.

Yes, and I am sure all the anti-seizing products, PB Blaster, Kroil, even WD40 will probably do the same job.

And you also could use heat, some time later after applying the oil. Gently, like from a Milwaukee gun on the Medium setting. heat - work, heat - work.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Mike and Mike for the tips. I'll try the Mystery Oil and some heat. I'm wondering if there's some old lubricant in there that has hardened.

Tried the heat/lubricant and it works. At first, when I removed the heat, it locked up again. I just had to keep the routine going until it was flushed out.

Rod

Yes so I thought also - seized lubricant.

At some point if possible, you could open it and cleane it for real.