Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery remote mainspring

I picked up another 39-116 radio with remote. The mainspring on the remote is broken on this one. Does anyone have a solution to repairing or replacing the spring? I have done a search on this forum and the net and have not found anything but I apologize if this has already been covered here.

Thanks,
Steve

Did you ever come up with a solution for the broken mainspring in your Mystery Control? I just acquired one with the same problem.

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. I've never had a Mystery Control remote with this problem.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Do you know how I can safely remove the center cap on the dial? I'm afraid to put a lot of pressure on it, if it is anything other than a pressure fit. Thought I might be able to find a similar clock spring, if I can get to it. Also need to straighten the dial, but I have seen the write-up on that problem and will be able to correct that problem, once I get the dial off.

hyounce Wrote:Do you know how I can safely remove the center cap on the dial?

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=2373

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Parts Alert:

http://cgi.ebay.com/380230939119

I do not know the seller, nor do I know if the return spring is good or not.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

`The seller confirmed that the Dial would not return, suggesting that the spring had broken. Does anyone care to hazard a guess as to the effectiveness of welding the broken spring parts, and then re-tempering the spring?

If there is plenty of room and you can hook the broken ends together, then streteh the spring slightly between two brads and dab a little epoxy on the joint. Let is set overnight, and you should be good to go. Else find a retired watchmaker, or some old geezer (like me) who never throws anything out. He should have a jar of springs in the workshop and can probably give you one that will do the trick. We're not talking rocket science here.

I'm confused about exactly how to epoxy the spring and have it function properly. The spring is a flat power spring, much like those used as clocks, except that has smaller dimensions. it measures .110 in. x .009. in x 171/2 in. Mine happens to have broken into three pieces.

I think I misspoke about this type of repair. I found some comment about silver soldering the pieces together, but if it;s broken in 3 places, well that's another story. I am now wondering if a mainspring from an alarm clock or possibly an old wind up toy or even an antique rotary telephone could work.